Announcement: Engraving 101: Ultrasonic cleaner, well priced hold full size handguns and its heated

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is a well priced ultrasonic cleaner that will not break the bank, Ive been searching for a while and all the larger ones well at least the ones that could hold a full size handgun were priced in the $250.00 range.

I used this yesterday and it performed like it should. Heat function was great did not boil but was hot enough for me not to want to leave my fingers in there. I hope it helps someone out.

Please like the video on youtube if you find it helpful. :thumbsup:

http://youtu.be/mGsV_w4VpEo

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In case you did not know, Don't put your fingers in the solution while the cleaner is running. That's a great way to cause your bones in your fingers to splinter.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Interesting... are there case studies on this splintering? Indicating immersion/exposure time and the strength of the unit?

Yes, I know that if you leave your fingers in the ultrasonic for more than a quick grab, you may scramble some bone marrow - this is according to the docs I asked at University of Cal. - Davis Med Center.

BUT they said it would have to be a pretty powerful ultrasonic and for a few minutes of immersion to do much damage. Long ways from splintering...

In fact, a quite similar device is used to relieve the pain in certain kinds of arthritis - at the very same hospital.

I have been dipping in and out of hot running utrasonics for 44 years and never noticed any damage to my fingers. These are the standard jewelers versions - NOT the more powerful industrial/commercial versions.

Your mileage may vary, of course... and they are YOUR fingers. I am not recommending the practice.

I CAN tell you that 44 years of doing it - has had some detrimental effects on my mind... since I can't really see it, it's kinda hard to tell if it's "splintered"?

Brian

Last edited:

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I CAN tell you that 44 years of doing it - has had some detrimental effects on my mind...

Brian

I kinda guessed but now I know for sure!!!!!LOL An ultrasonic is a nice tool to have on your bench!!!!

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
I have heard from an ultrasonic technician that one way to test the effectiveness of an ultrasonic unit is to place a sheet of tinfoil in the bottom of the tank and run it for five minutes. In a good unit, there will be holes in the tinfoil that you can see when you hold it up to the light. I haven't tried this myself, but it stands to reason that if it can do this to tinfoil, it might not be a good idea to stick your fingers in it for too long.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
why not have the gun owner fish it out for you ? or better yet, find some padded tongs to pull it out.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Best thing I found for getting polish off my fingers. I'll check in in a decade or so, see if I was rash.