Question: scope

RES

Has anyone had experience with AmScope I am looking at one for a second scope not for every day use

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I would strongly advise you to read THIS THREAD on microscopes.

Keep in mind the following: Premium microscopes use optical glass and not window glass. At first you might not notice much of a difference between a premium scope and a cheap Chinese knockoff because your eyes can overcome small defects, but you can get eye strain and headaches as a result. After long hours of use is where you will notice the difference between a quality microscope and a crappy one. Optics are no place to cut corners. My advice: save your money and get a quality microscope. However, if you say it's not for every day use then it might be ok. Personally, I would avoid AmScopes.

mrthe

I totally agree with Sam ,maybe will be better try to find a good second hand scope in good condictions before buy a cheap new one i have try the AmScopes and do the job but for example i have bought a bausch & lomb sz4 in ebay for 150$ and a leica sz6 for 200$ and compared with a new amscope the quality is much more better

Last edited:

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
I have a Amscope that I bought back when I was only going to use it occasionally for setting small stones, now that I am engraving and using it on a regular basis I totally agree with Sam and Mrthe, my eyes feel the strain, and I will be replacing it as soon as I can afford a better one.

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I totally agree with Sam ,maybe will be better try to find a good second hand scope in good condictions before buy a cheap new one i have try the AmScopes and do the job but for example i have bought a bausch & lomb sz4 in ebay for 150$ and a leica sz6 for 200$ and compared with a new amscope the quality is much more better

I agree with you and Sam,

It is the best way to understand and feel the differences

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There is an excellent scope article in the tips achieve. Leonardo was not impressed with the Leica scopes however. Don't know how the one Tira's model fits into the mix however. Leonardo is an expert on optics however. Fred

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sam, nobody would grow tired of your rants. just a shame that so few are willing to take a walk around the forum and maybe learn sumptin !

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I've posted this before:

I rarely speakup on opinion threads but I would like to say this:
I bought and still use a Amscope...
Went to GRS for a training class with Rex and used a Meiji emz I believe ...10 times better than my Amscope.
Used a friends Wild(Lieca) M3Z on some Bulino and lettering (i normally use a Zeiss loupe to do bulino)...10X better than the Meiji to me.
About 700.00 more saved and I'm buying a used M3Z...Without a doubt!

The Amscope works fine for 60-70% of my stuff but I do get optically fatigued when using it for two-four hours on end. The week I used my friends M3Z I was on leave from my regular job and was able to spend days cutting. NEVER felt fatigued. Was wonderfully bright and clear. AND I Can do Bulino under it!!

"In short save and buy good used or new equipment." I give you my word of honor this is the best advise I have ever got on here!!! (Buying my Amscope was the one and only time I went cheap and TOTALLY REGRET IT!!)

Donny

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
These guys knows what they're talking about, they work days behind one, but I'm just a weekender, my amscope serves me well, so far, when I get better at what I do, and start selling some guns, I'll use my profits to buy a better one, but for now I have so many tools, books, dvd, trips for my engraving classes that I Still need, my amscope will do for now.

But then again some engrave with just optivisors.

Carlos De La O III

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I think Carlos makes a very good point there. An optivisor is a good way to start as well. I would use that for awhile to make sure you will stick with this. I have no statistical proof BUT I would guess that 70% give up engraving because they A. Can't draw B. Are unwilling to practice C. can't or won't devote massive amounts of time to the art form .... And the Optivisor is great for drawing too!

Donny

Sponsors