Another Graver Lube Formula

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've been cutting a lot of hard stainless steel lately. Seemed like I spent more time sharpening than engraving. (Sound familiar?)
I developed this formula and it's working pretty good. I thought about marketing it, but decided the "Haz-Mat" hassle wasn't worth the hassle.
Mix this up and soak it up with a cotton ball. Touch your graver to the cotton ball frequently while cutting that hard SS.
P.S.----I only use a 120 deg. HSS graver-55 deg. face. 15 deg. heel
If you try it and like it, just buy me a drink the next time we meet.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you

Why use a HSS instead of a carbide.

My thought was a carbide holds up better.

Thanks for a learning experience.

Carlos De La O III

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos, Stainless tends to gall and you need a tougher tool steel to get through it. Carbide is more brittle and will just tend to snap off the tip if you are making a heavier cut in stainless or steel for that matter. Mid you that this is a general guideline and not a hard and fast rule!!!!
Brian, what type of HSS are you using with the new formula?? Any high relief??

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Brian

Bought a small can of WD40 trying not to waste money.

PROBLEM- Every time I try to spray :no: :no: a tablespoon full, it blasts it out of the spoon. :beatup:
LOL!!!

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow! A gallon can of WD-40 would be enough to last a lifetime even if used for every other thing it's good for. Probably for all of your friends, neighbors and extended family too! :shock::eek:;)

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
An old friend of mine that used to work at an old style machine shop gave me recipe for cutting oil. Bacon grease, and it smells good too. The machine shop was one that had all of those overhead belts that ran several machines, set up around the early 1020's.

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Years ago I was told by a old jeweler that oil of wintergreen is a good bur and graver lube, I have never tried it myself, but I would guess that it would make the shop smell good?

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Tap magic works great for cutting lube. It is formulated for cutting after all. I use the cotton pads in a baby food jar just touch tip of graver to it and a lil bead of oil stays on the point. Brian ,are you dubbing your points on the carbide? I found by dubbing I don't have any issues with point braking anymore. Did I mention I use 304 stainless for my practice plates.

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow! A gallon can of WD-40 would be enough to last a lifetime even if used for every other thing it's good for. Probably for all of your friends, neighbors and extended family too! :shock::eek:;)

Invest a little more and you don't need any thing else in your lifetime......

By the way, I think we can call this the Powley sirup....:thumbsup:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 152

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Oil of wintergreen-Lynton was convinced that working all day with the fumes a foot or so from his face that the outgassing is what caused his sever and painful health problems (crorns SP)) disease among other repertory issues) which lead to his death at 51 years of age

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Oil of wintergreen is evil. I dumped over a bottle of that stuff on my bench once and it stunk for weeks. I wouldn't even think about using it again.

That's interesting about Lynton, Fred. I've not heard that before.

Latest posts

Sponsors