"Star graver" from 1892

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
reshaping_grind.jpg

I've always called it a reshaping grind, and here it is on a graver in the 1892 edition of the Otto Young jewelry supply catalog. It's the graver marked 8. They call it a STAR GRAVER. Could it be because the grind looks like a star point?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Sam,Thank's for sharing always interested in old engraving tools,number 8 graver looks like it has good clearance angle for push engraving. J.J.

Sam

Staff member
does these show a patent and if so did that mean one wasn't allowed to grind / bent his graver like that?

arnaud

It says "Patent applied for" and I don't know if it was ever successfully patented. Maybe the patent application was for double-ended gravers which these are.

old_gravers.jpg

Sam

Staff member
Yes, they are the old style handles with an aluminum or brass sleeve that secures the graver. They were made in the US as well as France.

monk

Staff member
well, i guess doc is right; cosmetic changes are the only apparent ones. it would seem those engravers enjoyed their toys, as well as we do.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, they are the old style handles with an aluminum or brass sleeve that secures the graver. They were made in the US as well as France.

I have a set like these with the sleeves acquired when I first started in the 80's.

Bill

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
EFB gravers are still sold as a set of six gravers and handles for $140 by Rio Grande. Unfortunately I don't find the handles sold separately as I have one that is one of my favorites and would like a couple more.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Boy and we think gravers are expensive today! Fifty cents was a lot of money back then.
Of course that was for shaped gravers and we're mostly just buying blanks, but I still think we're doing ok.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gotcha covered Sam (TOS),
These things weren't meant for square blanks like we use today. The gravers they were designed for had a barb on the end that would dig into the wood when the ferrule was wedged down on it, or the barb (upturned end) would register into a series of holes to set the length. Others I've had worked the same way but they had a thin brass piece in the slot that had notches in it that looked kind of like the edge of a hacksaw blade and the graver end would catch on that for length adjustment.

I gave those away years ago so no pics. Here are a few of an oddball one and a EFB.

Attachments

• IMG_9365.jpg
    IMG_9365.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_9366.jpg
    IMG_9366.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_9364.jpg
    IMG_9364.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 79

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
If you notice, in the last two or three photos, a thin kerf is sawn into the bottom of the V-groove in which the graver rests. The barb then engages stepped holes, as sharpening took place, so as to provide a register. My original EFB holder has an aluminum, seven stepped insert placed into this kerf, and probably is a result of dealing with hole wear from graver push. My EFB holder is marked, "PAT. MAR. 12, 1889", both on the flat of the handle and the sliding ferrule. From friends who're involved in the patent process in the past, I believe that 'pat. appl. for' refers to a new, developing product that was out on the market, and the notice was served not to imitate the product. If you saw a 'pat. pend', it meant that the product already had it's approval, and the maker was merely awaiting to be assigned a patent number. The 'pat. pend.' refers to the earliest products, whatever they may be, and are the one's worth looking for and collecting.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
To correct my error, the 'pat. appl. for' would be the earliest run; 'pat. pend.' would follow shortly thereafter; 'patented' with some number would be the newest runs. Around flea markets, or auctions, I run into this sort of thing, and look for such if it has interest to me. . .you never know what's to be found out there.

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
I have a couple of those they look old but that does not mean they are. I believe they also take a 1/8" graver blank. Never did get good with them but I did learn something today, thanks for the info. May just have to get them out and give them another try.

Eric

Latest posts

Sponsors