How to remove a ring from a swollen finger without cutting!

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I met a carpenter who was standing on a ladder with a nail gun in his right hand and left hand over a ceiling joist. After nailing he jumped from the ladder's 2nd step and his wedding ring caught an exposed nail head and tore is finger off. Fortunately engraving isn't quite so hazardous.

a guy i grew up with did much the same thing jumping a fence in high school. they were able to reattach it successfully.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When in construction, I almost lost my finger when my wedding band got hooked on a joist as I jumped off the ladder. Fortunately, the wood splintered before my finger came off and after making sure it was still attached, the ring came off, never to return until I quit construction. A very scary time and my wife understood completely why I didn't wear it anymore.

Bill

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
I also knew a man who left his finger and wedding ring on the truck when he jumped down. I kept my graduation rings from High School, College and Law School in a cigar box. I never wore rings until my bride insisted that that's what "I do" meant.

I recently had to cut her engagement ring off, as her hands have grown larger over the years, and she wants a bigger rock next anniversary.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
I never wore rings until my bride insisted that that's what "I do" meant.

I said to mine, "I do" and then I said "But I don't want to loose a finger", I saw a truck driver that used to deliver goods to a warehouse I used to work at, goods where in wooden crates, he pushed one off the truck(no forklift then), and he was lucky he came down with it, otherwise he would have lost a finger :eek:

Richard.

Ray park

I have read this and still am wondering what the trick is. Would someone reiterate? I only see references to string or elastic, but nothing more.

JOSIAH HANLEY

have worked in jewelry for 25 yrs have only seen it work on some one that does not have a hurt finger . have smashed and cut off fingers my self last thing i wanted was some wraping them with any thing yet trying to pull a ring over them !

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have read this and still am wondering what the trick is. Would someone reiterate? I only see references to string or elastic, but nothing more.

watch the video in the very post of the thread. or maybe the video is not appearing for you?

JAT

I worked as a retail jeweler for a while and I would let people try on rings all the time. Whenever they got one stuck I would calmly reply "not to worry the ring would be fine and they can sew fingers back on in just a couple of hours!" Some people didn't get the joke and would damn near tear their finger off trying to give the ring back!
Ray, the idea is to squeeze the finger down with wraps of cord, making the finger smaller in diameter. Then the elastic cord is pulled through the ring and unwrapped off of the finger as the ring is pulled off the finger. It does work in extreme cases, but most of the time I would use soapy water and I would let the person soak their hand in ice cold water, which would constrict the blood vessels a little and help make the finger smaller. The best trick I know of, is to lift the ring over the knuckle, it takes two hands but it is very gentle on the customer. Knuckles will not compress but the squishy bit on the under side of your finger will, so you pull the ring against the fleshy part of the finger and slowly work it toward the finger tip. I hope this info helps some unfortunate person!

Josh

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors