Colonial Gunsmith

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
maplesm,Thank's for sharing the youtube videos on the Willamsburg gunsmiths,I get to see Wallace Gusler and Clay Smith at muzzle loader events Wallace taught many young men the building of the long rifle at the Williamsburg shop. J.J.

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
Wallace Gusler has a booth at the NMLRA Spring & Fall National Shoots and he is always ready to share his vast knowledge. He also displays several original longrifles and can point out the many details of a particular gunmaking school and the techniques of building them. It's worth a trip to Friendship, Indiana, to see him and the many other activities on the grounds.

rrupp

I was a first year student at Colorado school of trades in 1971 and we watched this film as a class assignment. it was so much fun to watch it again.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I used to have the old VHS videotape years ago but it got worn out from being lent out to the various members of the Coon 'n Crockett Muzzleloaders Club. Then, I replaced it with the DVD version. You can buy those on Amazon here: The Gunsmith of Williamsburg

I built a few rifle kits years ago always personalizing them with carving, etc. The only "scratch built" rifle I did took me 2 1/2 months of 10 hour days. A 1770 Isaac Haines style Pennsylvania longrifle with a .40 caliber radius grooved swamped Colerain barrel, curly maple stock, brass fittings, and I made it with interchangeable large Davis tuned Siler percussion and flintlocks, and Walter Caine fancy single set trigger. Even so, that ends up being a lot easier than actually making every single part down to the last screw as Wallace Gusler did.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Here in Virginia it's not hard to find a Muzzle loader events,I get to see and meet some very talented men.Between the engraving gold & silver inlays,wood carving,silver wire inlay,and metal work the craftsmanship is outstanding. J.J.

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
We stopped in last summer paid a large sum for a bus ride To look at buildings from the outside that were either closed for repair or not open.
The Gunsmith was closed . The silversmith was in but mostly rude.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
We stopped in last summer paid a large sum for a bus ride To look at buildings from the outside that were either closed for repair or not open.
The Gunsmith was closed . The silversmith was in but mostly rude.

I was there last year and I guess I hit it at the right time, because I spent most of my time in the gunsmith's shop. They were very courteous and attentive to me, even though school kids were there and asking tons of questions. Heck, they even invited me to lodge that night, but I had to drive our senior group (old folks, not kids!) someplace else that evening, or I would have gone. The silversmith was most gracious to me, taking me behind the scenes, so to speak, showing me all kinds of tools and early equipment not on display. We had a great time talking shop and I was invited back for more intimate conversation any time. I'm sorry you had an unpleasant experience.

Bill

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
Everyone that we met that day was pleasant but him. Oh well, we all have a bad day once in a while. We spent plenty of time with the chair makers. Watched them shape their pieces parts. As well as the wheelwrights and the shoemaker.

Sponsors