engraved skate truck

thatcher

howdy! iv been on this forum for a while lurking and occasionally posting. I cast some pistol grips and some gas tanks in my last post. well I finally pulled my unused gravermax out of the box it was in for 7 years and hooked it up to the compressor. i had been procrastinating cause i didnt have magnifing lenses or any real sharpening equipment or a vice. and the jeweler who showed me how to engrave long ago had all those things. but i watched sams hand sharpening video and went for it. i pencil drew this design on a skate truck and went at it just holding it down on a wood round. rough i know but i thought id share.

http://thatcherworks.blogspot.com/2014/02/engraved-skate-truck.html

thatcher

sure do! im kinda looking forward to what they are gunna look like ground down though.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
great ! working on odd shaped, stuff as you have done there is the best way to practice. such prepares you for what will be coming thru your door in the future. amongst other things, it teaches one how to hold, anchor, or secure strange things that require engraving.

JakeW

That is cool! I would put some sharpie or black paint in it to make the engraving really pop. I am a skater also and have been thinking of engraving on some trucks also, but just did not have the time yet.

monk

Staff member
i still have a set of chicagos, double truck. never gave a thought to cut them. on the rink floor, nobody will see the work without removing skates. difficult to do while skating to disco ! i like what you did, btw.

thatcher

thanks! post pictures if you guys carve up some! these ones are too narrow so the next pair i do will be some new shiny 169s for me. the local skate park has pool coping so im looking foreward to grinding them down.

mrthe

Good job and nice Idea! Jeff truck guard exists today? I'm from the old school too i tember they but i think that are museum things today hehe

lines

Great work this must be a first for the skate world. I just used my wheels on my home made tumbler.
My rolling days are long gong. Good work.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You young wiper snappers. We took apart a pair of metal clamp-on roller skates and bolted them to the bottom of a piece of plywood and tried to learn to side walk surf. Hey the Beach Boys even did it that way. Side walk surfed to the Ventures Wipe Out. That's when men were men and scabs on knees, elbows and faces proved it. Good job searching out new sources to ply the trade. Fred

ETHELBERT

Elite Cafe Member
UOTE=Marrinan;151311]You young wiper snappers. We took apart a pair of metal clamp-on roller skates and bolted them to the bottom of a piece of plywood and tried to learn to side walk surf. Hey the Beach Boys even did it that way. Side walk surfed to the Ventures Wipe Out. That's when men were men and scabs on knees, elbows and faces proved it. Good job searching out new sources to ply the trade. Fred[/QUOTE]

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
They were originally young coach and wagon drivers.

They tended to overuse the whip cracking, either to speed up the horses - or attract the attention of girls... with the noise of the cracking whip.

Hence you got the term "whipper snappers"

Youth, testosterone and need for speed...

Brian

(and no, I am not old enough to have actually been one - that would've been my grandfather)

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It is what my grandfather called us when we came up with INTERSTING ideas. Like adding a little saw dust to the grain for the stock. Now it is done routinely and they call it filler. He called it the craziest thing a wiper snapper ever tried. Fred

monk

Staff member
gabby hayes could pronounce "whipper snapper" better than anybody on earth.

thatcher

thanks! ill post up some photos of what they look like after a few hundred grinds.

Latest posts

Sponsors