Needed an advice about Microscope Light.

mrthe

Hi, my fluorescent light id died and i'm now thinking in replace it and upgrade to something better than a 8w fluorescent i work a lot at high magnification with a working distance of 20 cm snd my old light is s little dark when i work in details.
I use a Opmi-1 scope and i'm thinking in buy a good light for this good scope, i was thinking in the Micro-lite FV1000 i have read that is a good fluorescent light but i want ask before if someone folk in the forum use it and if his high price justify the inversion respect a common one fluorescent ring light.
Advice in how hold a ring light in a good way in a Opmi scope are welcome too!
Thank you

Last edited:

mrthe

Brian are you talking about the built in light of the Opmi?
If yes i have pull off it i don't like it , is very nice for surgery but for engraving from my point of view is unconfortable
This is a Photo of my scope if can help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 206

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Well, if you didn't throw away the original through the lens lighting - there are some alterations that can be made to it...

First you need the rheostat power source? Do you have that? That gives you perfect control of the light level.

Then you need to take out one of the glass filter plates (the clear one) and bead blast or sandblast it to soften the brightness.

You can also do some other tricks with this - but if you no longer have the parts or all of the parts, it is kinda hard to explain...

B.

Last edited:

mrthe

Brian i have all the parts , please explain to me what can i do,i will happy to know how can i use it better.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i use a cheep ($20.00) led flex type. mounted on the base of my scope i can angle it most any way needed. works for me. nicely, it operates without generating much heat.

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
I bought a ring light but just can't get past the 180 degree bounce back glare from being perfectly overhead. I use two gooseneck LED clip lights that I clip on the adjusting bracket. One of the LED lights is from Target $20 and one from IKEA $10. I also use two simple swing arm desk lamps set up with 23 watt compact flourescent daylight colored bulbs. All these lamps are low heat and can easily be position from various sides to provide light that skims the surface as opposed to creating glare like ring lights. I only very rarely use my ring light glare blaster.

Ste82

Elite Cafe Member
I use a dimmable led ring light, it works quite good with 170 mm working distance..the price was around 100€

mrthe

Thank you guys for all the advises, and a great thanks to Brian that give me a lot of good info,i have gooseneck lamps like the ikea ones and a led ringlight too, but personally i preferre fluorescents lights, my question was just if the micro-lite worth his high price respect a cheaper one and if i will feel a great difference respect a 8w fluorescent light.
But maybe thanks to the info from this post i can try some alternatives and check if they work better for me, thank you

Aventuraal

If you want to take the time to hunt them down, Zeiss made a movable arm system that uses their original lights, and were pretty adjustable, and set up at about a 45 degree angle; you could also fit other lights into the arms. I have an earlier OPMI, but you could use it on yours, since it fits in under the binoculars. I did convert the original lights to LED, since the incandescent bulbs are hot, and getting harder to find If you are interested, I put up some photos of my setup.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My favorite out of all my lights is my fiber optically transmitted halogen. I like the quality of the light.. Augmented by side led.
Tho I carve under big non flicker full spectrum lights. Which I love.

Aventuraal

Alternate to ring lights on the OPMI

Below are some photos of the lighting I use on mine. It's the original Zeiss lighting, but converted from the incandescent bulbs to use LED's. The back 2 lights are the heavier optical slit lamps, but they work very nicely to balance the weight of the the adjustable binoculars on the front end. The side light is adjustable through nearly 180 degrees of rotation, with fixed stops every so often, and it can be mounted on either side. The side arm mounts under the binoculars, and raises them about an inch (25mm). The lights are configured to use a 200 mm final objective, although by using the integral adjustments for angle I have used them with 250 and 400 mm final objectives. Since the external lights set at about a 45 degree angle to the line of sight, there is no reflection, except of the sides of the cuts, and that is pretty diffused. IMG_6762.jpg IMG_6757.jpg IMG_6780.jpg

Ray park

I used the standard fluorescent ring light on my scope for years, and had several burn out, and the new bulbs are costly. So I found a 144 led ring light on eBay (precision world) for about $60 and it gives excellent light and minimum glare.