Circle/curved border problem

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
I am struggling pretty hard trying to do a running wheat border on circles. Anyone have any tips on how to do it ?

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
I guess it depends on how big the circle is and what is causing your problem. If it is spacing take a look at the ring dividing guide that was just re posted this will give accurate spacing.
Eric

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Layout=scribe the out side and inside of the edge of your border. Find the center of the space between the lines, lightly scribe this center line. I use proportional dividers for all this-much easier. The method without the proportional dividers will be discussed here. Take a light piece of copper wire and 14 or 16 gauge, tape one end on your center line and carefully bend it around the center circle-carefully taping as needed-the length of the wire where they meet is the circumference of the center line. take this wire and cut so the ends butt. straighten it out. If you decide you want 40 leafs you divide the length by forty. Set dividers at 1/40th and walk them around the center line. This gives you the point of your boat shape-see tutorial on the border for portions and general layout of the leafs. proportional divider directions are in the tips section and much much easier. Take a tenth the time just measurer the diameter to the center , set the dividers for the number of leafs and walk the divider around the center line done. BIG FAN OF proportional dividers- use every day I am at the bench. saves many hours of layout. Of course all this could be done if you took and remembered your geometry-I cant. Fred

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I mark the borders and then mark the length of the sections approximately 1-1/2 the width of the border on the center line. Some (fudging)allowed!!!!!!!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hey fred- thanks so much for the info. i gotta git one of those. tyvm all over again

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Your both very welcome. You will find them a useful tool for layout. They are traditionally used to reduce drawings or enlarge them. now we use the computer. they are worth the cost in just finding the center of to a line or the center between lines. Fred

wdale.bass

hey Fred,is there a tutorial on how to use those proportional dividers,I bought em but don't know how to use them. the instructions are difficult for this country boy.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Dale
As a wannabe spurmaker, I have several rowel patterns in differing numbers of points.
IMO just lay out a paper rowel design, each rowel point being either the head or tail of each wheat .
Increase or decrease the number of points until you get the desired length of each wheat.
Just my thoughts.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dale please set the number on the dividers to two. Now look at each end. One end will be half the length of the other end. Away you go.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
On the circle scale locate the number of divisions you need Say 8 and Put the line on the 8 exactly. With the wide or bottom set of points spread to the diameter of the circle. Now walk the opposite end around the circle. IF you needed more divisions than on the scale say 24 you would use 12 then mark them then go half way between 2 of your marks and go round again. Fred

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wheat chaff border

Here are two photos of my version of Wheat chaff border. I know there are several variations depending on the artist that does them!!!!! This is set up on a slightly curved line,so I hope this helps.
bm3.jpg 2013-09-28 11.45.54Corner plate for BM2lowres.jpg

Latest posts

Sponsors