Question: 1911 engraving

Fleur-de-Lys

Hello,

I'm in the process of ordering a Wilson Combat 1911.
They offer an engraving option but they don't provide any proof for the customer.

So, it's a little bit like buying a pig in a poke. :(

However, they sent me this email:

Custom scrollwork can be provided as a digital file. Please seek the assistance of a graphic artist to create one for you.

Where to find an artist able to make such a design and provide it as digital graphic?
What would be a reasonable price for a digital design?

Thank you.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It sounds to me like they are offering laser marking. That's what vector artwork would most likely be used for. If it's laser marking, I really think you will probably be disappointed in the overall look.

I would suggest asking the folks at Wilson, if you can work with a hand engraver to complete the job.

It appears the slide is stainless. Possibly talk with them to see if you can have them send the slide and frame to an engraver of your choice prior to them doing the assembly work. This would be ideal as the parts would be 100% ready for the engraver. There would be no need to take everything apart prior to engraving.

I'd be able to help you with the engraving if it works out.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you are seeking a truly hand engraved piece stop the process at this point. Put the work on you gun on hold while you select the engraver of your choice. Have a conference call between the engraver, yourself and the folks at Wilson. This way Wilson can get the piece ready for engraving in the prep work, the engrave can explain about polishing after engraving while they assemble and you will get exactly what you want.

You could go the other route and except the weapon finished then send to and engraver to undo/redo some of the work the builder has done. then send it back for reassembly and tuning. The gun maker and the engraver need to have a conversation. the length and depth of that conversation depends on what you pocket would is willing to fork over for a engraved gun or work of art. Just my thoughts. If I was a rich man there would be such a collection the world has never seen of custom showpiece and using guns. Unfortunately a rich man in old Kentucky or was it Tennessee tried that and was cheated at every turn by his own expert providing advice. Study what you want then who can do what you want then bring together something that will always be yours no matter who owns it. Fred

Fleur-de-Lys

Thanks for the answers.

Some more info about what I know (they don't tell me everything).
The slide is not stainless (just steel / Wilson calls it "carbon steel").
The whole 1911 will be sent by Wilson to Baron Technology for a mirror polish and bluing job.

My guess is that Baron is going to do the engraving job. But I don't know.

I don't know if it's laser or hand engraving.
Here's a sample pic. Is this laser engraving?

What about this one: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=423064

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The gun in the picture above appears to be hand engraved however the image is too small to know for sure. Baron technology specializes in production decoration of guns. They use laser, acid etch, and roll die marking for their decoration. In some cases where numerous guns will be decorated alike, such as commemorative editions, they have a skilled hand engraver create the art work and even a hand engraved prototype. Best to find a skilled engraver whose work you like and have them collaborate with you and Wilson.

One way to review engravers who may be right for your project is to visit the web site of the Firearms Engravers Guild of America. http://www.fega.com/ click on ENGRAVERS then on either MASTER ENGRAVERS of REGULAR MEMBERS. That will take you to numerous pages that the show samples of their work and contact information.

RB

Fleur-de-Lys

Thanks for the advice.
I'm aware that a master engraver is going to provide the best results.
I've seen a couple of guys here doing an awesome job. :thumbsup:

I also made some research starting from the FEGA list.
Unfortunately, many members don't have a web site with photos making a decision which engraver to ask very difficult.
This forum is more useful for me.

My headaches are because of (1) the coordination and (2) the bluing job.

(1) Right now, Wilson is taking the responsibility and liability for the whole process. One company, one person in charge.
They have their own defined processes and they don't offer any special custom treatment.
With a backlog of 9,000 guns, this is quite understandable.
If I go down the master engraver path, I will have to do it after Wilson delivers the gun to me.

(2) Baron bluing is so exceptional because of their underlying mirror polish preparation.
Their blue (which is a deep black) is unique. I don't know anyone else doing such a prep for a bluing job.
See this pic: http://forums.1911forum.com/picture.php?albumid=92&pictureid=1643

If I send the slide to a master engraver, will he/she be able to engrave it,
re-polish it and blue it? Or do I have to send the slide again to Baron?

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
I'VE ENGRAVED THE 1911 by hand and by laser. forget the laser. the laser is a great way to offend the gods of all things that go boom. i can create magic with the laser, but the magic falls to the wayside when compared to hand work.how do you say, "caveat emptor" ? i use the laser now strictly for quick, inexpensive commercial work. it's just a way to generate quick money without soul. although a hand drawn and scanned vector can be lased , then hand engraved over. in this sense it can be useful as a layout tool.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fluer,
It sounds like you're trying to go about it backwards maybe. If you for sure want it engraved then have them send it to Baron if they wish and simply do the metal prep work. Anyone with any patience and know how can produce that finish themselves, there's no patent proprietary process to polishing a 1911 slide to a mirror finish. However, any engraver that is willing to do the metal prep will charge for it in addition to the engraving fee.

Then have them send you the gun and have it engraved by whomever you choose and then you can send it back to Baron for final finish, in this case their particular blueing sauce. You don't want to get it blued only to have to remove that blue to engrave it. Maybe you can coordinate this with Baron themselves, pay for the gun compete from Wilson and have them add a note along with the gun to polish only, no blue until customer returns it to Baron. Ask Baron if you can do what you need to do to it and send it back to them engraved to have it blued which would already be paid for. Does that make sense?

If Wilson is making it difficult, I'd buy the gun "in the white" and then deal with Baron or another finisher on your own so you have control over this process and cut Wilson out altogether after the purchase. In the white should be cheaper since it is out their door quicker that way and they don't have to coordinate anything. At any rate, a pistol of this quality isn't cheap and in the end you want it to be like you want it, not some compromise end product. So, take the steps necessary to make this a possible heirloom if that is your goal.

Sponsors