Engraving Poll - What articles do you engrave?

My engraving work is done on (select all the apply):

• Total voters

webad2006

As a beginer I've only done [h&c] practice plates, and a few western brown buckles. I hope to do spurs, and bits in the near future. By the way, how about more western related post. Like I said, I'm new and could any helpfull ideas, or suggestions.

The poll is interesting personally I didn't think Jewelry engravers would to be so high in the poll, I've been engraving about 20 years I've never taken a class per say my work is good but compared to someone like Sam
lets say I get by and I just about can get work done because of the phone ringing with retail jewelers from all over the nation calling to see if I'll do work for them some I take on others I send to forums like this to see if they can find someone closer: I have an account in Hawaii no big deal except I'm in NJ he tells me he can't find a jewelry hand engraver to do his work closer, I have several accounts in CA. But then again the poll only has 30 or so names the JBT book has about 200,000 jewelers listed so guess there's plenty of work to go around :).

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
guns, knives, tomahawks, jewelry, buckles, bike parts, glass etching, wood carving, pet urns, people urns,granite tombstones, yard stones, and a toilet seat and lid ! yes, i'm a prostitute , and damn proud of it !

monk

Staff member
metal engraving

join my 12 step program when those thoughts creep into your head--drink 12 beers, the urge to engrave metal will soon pass !

donnatheeng

you left out one catagory and that makes up about 75% of what i engrave.that would be silver.in my case especially being in kentucky its julep cups.they are given for everything.silver holloware is very popular in the south.the race tracks here,churchill downs and keeneland all give silver.as far as i know i am the only woman to engrave the 14k gold derby cup.i always have more to do during spring and fall racing seasons. donnathe

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Donna is the Derby cup used over and over like the Stanley cup? That's pretty cool to be the one to engrave it. Ahhh mint juleps I do like to have a few with the race or any race:)
Mike

donnatheeng

mike the trophy is a new one each year.the owner gets to keep it,three smaller duplicates in sterling go to the jockey,trainer and breeder. the oaks race trophy is used over and over.its like a large umbrella stand in silver with horse heads on the side.its interesting to see the difference in engravers that have added names since the first one in the 1800's.the size and style is the same but you can tell which years different engravers did. four engravers can engrave the same thing with the same style but you still know four different people did it.i like engraving old traveling trophys just to see all the different engravers.just to throw this in one time at the store when i worked with one of the old engravers that did the trophy we put champagne in it and drank it with lunch.still tasted like champagne,pretty good.keeneland gives out gold trophies too.a very heavy 14k tray ,pitcher,bowl and julep cups.the three larger pieces get a racing scene with 8 cartouches for winners ,whatever owner that wins the most gets that particular trophy.the julep cups go to stakes races,they give out as many as 7 or 8 per season.the 3 larger pieces could take years for some to keep one.sorry about the long answer,way too much coffee.db

monk

Staff member
julep cup

you left out one catagory and that makes up about 75% of what i engrave.that would be silver.in my case especially being in kentucky its julep cups.they are given for everything.silver holloware is very popular in the south.the race tracks here,churchill downs and keeneland all give silver.as far as i know i am the only woman to engrave the 14k gold derby cup.i always have more to do during spring and fall racing seasons. donnathe

i woke up this am and knew everything-except what is a julep cup and what do you engrave on them ?
monk45@verizon.net thanx monk

donnatheeng

julep cup,its kind of like a beaker style cup wider at the top than bottom ,usually anywhere from about 2-2 1/2 inches at top diameter about 1 3/4 2 inches bottom diameter and anywhere from 31/2 -4 inches tall some taller it varies.they can have a threaded ,beaded or rolled over lip and base.traditionally the early ones were made of sterling but now because of cost silver plate and pewter are used alot.what what they were originally used for was to servemint juleps in.that is a drink made up of fresh crushed mint leaves sugar and bourbon.everyone has their own traditional recipe.its then served in a frosted silver julep cup.done right its smooth and will knock your sox off.as to what i engrave on them,well its a traditional gift around here for births ,weddings ,graduation just about anything you might want to give a gift for.i have engraved just about everything on them fromnames,monograms,balloons,the happy birthday song ,a dead dog memorial,presentation and awards,a micrometer a real mixed bag.julep cups are so traditional around i even engraved a pair that a hollywood producer gave to tom cruise for a wedding gift.right now i just started working on a hundred for keeneland race track to give out at the spring meet in april.ill bet thats way more than you wanted to know.if you want to see what they look like go to ebay under silver and put in julep cup.they are always there.or you could look on our store web site finerjewelry.com we have some i did.i would do attachments but i am lucky to do this much.i am very computer challenged.db

Tim Adlam

Gun and knife work make up about half of my work-load.
Musical instruments and fountain pens fill up the remainder.
Jewelry engraving is limited to when I fabricate a piece.
Hobo nickels and engraved prints are areas I wish to explore in the future.
Once in a while there's an odd request that just needs doing.
Tim

monk

Staff member
julep cups

julep cup,its kind of like a beaker style cup wider at the top than bottom ,usually anywhere from about 2-2 1/2 inches at top diameter about 1 3/4 2 inches bottom diameter and anywhere from 31/2 -4 inches tall some taller it varies.they can have a threaded ,beaded or rolled over lip and base.traditionally the early ones were made of sterling but now because of cost silver plate and pewter are used alot.what what they were originally used for was to servemint juleps in.that is a drink made up of fresh crushed mint leaves sugar and bourbon.everyone has their own traditional recipe.its then served in a frosted silver julep cup.done right its smooth and will knock your sox off.as to what i engrave on them,well its a traditional gift around here for births ,weddings ,graduation just about anything you might want to give a gift for.i have engraved just about everything on them fromnames,monograms,balloons,the happy birthday song ,a dead dog memorial,presentation and awards,a micrometer a real mixed bag.julep cups are so traditional around i even engraved a pair that a hollywood producer gave to tom cruise for a wedding gift.right now i just started working on a hundred for keeneland race track to give out at the spring meet in april.ill bet thats way more than you wanted to know.if you want to see what they look like go to ebay under silver and put in julep cup.they are always there.or you could look on our store web site finerjewelry.com we have some i did.i would do attachments but i am lucky to do this much.i am very computer challenged.db
thanks for the info. for me, anyway- very interesting. i'd have to say probably for most of us on this forum. i think we all have some level of vested interest in that which gets engraved. thanks again