Tutorial: Cutting ties/bridges/connectors

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
This is a tutorial about cutting ties, bridges or connectors for those of you who have asked me to share.

First I either pantograph my design or as in this case, I have used my copier to transfer my design to a piece of label paper (I get this at Staples). I then stick the paper to my metal material, in this case sterling silver. If you notice I have drawn in where I want to apply my "ties". I then drill the necessary holes so that I can saw out the buckle design. In this case I used a #4/0 jewelers saw blade.

I then silver solder this design on to a thicker piece of sterling silver. I use a #2 jewelers saw blade to saw around the shape of the buckle.

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
I then use a seperating disc and/or a graver to remove these "ties".

I then polish and engrave the buckle. Then I matte/stipple the background which in turn covers up the areas where I have removed the ties. When removing the "ties", be sure not to remove the background material too excessively as this will leave a groove or valley and will require more work to blend the surrounding area so that there is continuity in the appearance of the matting/stippling.

Best regards,
Greg Pauline

Latest posts

Sponsors