Leica Scope Review

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This info may have been posted before and if so I apologize but I'm too amazed by this piece of equipment to hold back.
While at the FEGA show, I stopped by to talk with Tira Mitchell and thank her for the excellent gravers she had sent me specifically for cutting stainless. (very good also!)
She had a Leica A60-F set up at her table and suggested I give it a whirl. I really didn't know what a good scope looked like till I sat down and put my eyes to the cups. Clarity is what you would expect from a scope of this caliber. Perfect. The image was free of distortion all the way out to the edge of field of view. The zoom worked great and maintained perfect focus. The light that comes attached is also outstanding and light years ahead of any I've used before.
But the thing that really stuck out for me, really floored me, was the depth of field. Tira had me focus on a piece of engraving on the vise. Next she took a quarter and set it on edge directly in my field of view. I'll be darned if the top edge of that quarter wasn't in perfect focus as well. I think back to all the fiddling I have to do if I tilt my vise just a few degrees. None of that is necessary with the Leica. It's as close to focus and forget it as I've ever seen. Lastly was the nifty flex arm that comes with this model. When properly anchored, it will extend around 3 feet out from the bench with ease allowing one to work on barrels with complete freedom.
Needless to say I was sold. I'm planning on making the A60-F my next purchase. I've used Meijis and other scopes but none compare favorably to the Leica in my opinion.
Hope this comes in handy to anyone looking for a new scope! Tira is a dealer for these and her site can usually be found at the top of the forum page.
Layne

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Layne, thanks for this review, I have been thinking of getting this one from Tira for a while, unfortunately the exchange rate is not favorable for me at the moment and with duties and taxes will add a considerable amount to the final price, but as soon as the AU Dollar improves I will be getting one for sure, I have only heard good things about this scope, and your info makes me want to get it now, but I will have to wait, thanks for that,
Here you go Scott,
http://www.engraver.com/scopes/

Richard.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
This review is very timely for me. I bought an AMSCOPE some years back and have since come to regret it. I'd heard many good things about Wild M3z's then got to use one and was blow away by the clarity and the volume of light vs my Amscope. The M3Z setup right will cost me about 1300-1650ish used. This Lieca is getting some great reviews from you guys. I am hoping to be able to use it for Bulino as well. I currently use a Zeiss loop for doing my bulino scenes, have since I started engraving. When I try bulino under my Amscope I get bad headaches within 3-4hrs.

Donny

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I currently use an Amscope as well. And yes; if used at full magnification it can cause some eye strain. I haven't worked under the Leica for any length of time but I've seen others who have and the optics seem to lessen or eliminate the amount of eyestrain when working for longer periods. When starting my business, the AmScope filled a need while on a budget. It will no longer serve the puropose given the type of engraving I'm doing now.
Layne

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
I purchased a A60 from Tara about 3 months ago and have finally gotten it set up. I did a lot of shopping around and for what you get and the capabilities of the scope this is the best one, and you get everything you need stand light and scope for one great price. The only additional thing you need is the objective of your choice. Highly recomended. ZZ

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Layne, It was great to meet you at the show! Thanks for your thoughts on the Leica A60F. The price is $1818 for the scope, flex-arm stand, table clamp and LED light. It is another $165 for the objective of your choice (.75x, .63x, or .50x). The whole thing together as seen at the show was $1983. I'm glad you took the time to look through it. Most people don't understand how clear it is until they do. :)

mrthe

Most people don't understand how much is important work with a good scope is like wear glasses and buy they in a bazar ;) not good for your eyes

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I tried the scope at Scott's Engrave-In and was very impressed with its capabilities. As stated before elsewhere, I will definitely be getting one as soon as the funds appear. I was going to sell my present scope and get it, but I need my scope now.....have four commissions now, can't give it up! Save me one Tira!!!

Bill

Latest posts

Sponsors