Announcement: engraving 101: Power hone dust collector

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello all,

Here is an Idea I read on the forum some time ago and just got around to finish it this weekend, did that instead on engraving on saturday. Oh well, after I finished I think it a little overkill with the lid, but you guys/gals can modify it to fit your needs.

I hope it helps someone out, as monk had also mentioned you can load (means add) mineral oil with your finger to the disk to help with the dust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEFF4A7e9tY&list=UU2QlobwmrSAw2TjXw4eNMiw&feature=share

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
carlos-- like you, i like to create gadgets. but i only do so when things are speedier to do, or there's an overall improvement in performance. i recently began the drill press /disk way of sharpening. all along have used the trusty grs powerhone way. no dust generated at the speeds these 2 operate, and the mess remains on the diamond surface, nowhere else.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monk

I don't know what to say but with my drill press I do get a little dust flying and when I was at Gerry's place he has a GRS power hone and I saw dust off towards the back on the power hone flying onto the table, you know that black looking powder.

I know there's not much here in performance improvement but my wife works for the Social Security department at her hospital and I hear stories of people with some type of lung disease and I'd like to stay off that list if possible. Plus my 8 year old is an art lover and she's starting to watch daddy working wants to learn what I know, if I can keep dust off as many things as possible the better.

Now remember this idea is not mine I read it in an old post and decided just to make a video on it.

What other things have you made, share, I'm all ears.

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
carlos: your concern for dust is good. if anything is being flung off the disk it means perhaps the speed is too great and or you're not using a good lube. most any liquid will keep things cool-etc. but the slightly higher viscosity of the mineral oil keeps all the junk on the disk, and nowhere else. the disk is way easier to clean, just remove from the chuck. a toothbrush may dislodge any gunk that's stubborn.
if the mineral oil gets flung off, try a slower speed.

Latest posts

Sponsors