Question: grs positioning vise

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
there a video of the grs positioning vise in action?
how much travel does it have from one extreme to the other?
does it travel along one axis? and if so is that axis perpendicular to to opening of the jaw?
thank you:thinking:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You can't get all the way to the corners of 2"x2" practice plate mounted in the GRS Positioning Vise because it doesn't have enough travel. For me this is the main drawback. It's a great vise...big, heavy, and beautifully made, but it just doesn't have enough travel to suit me so I use the turntable. The turntable is also faster because you don't have to use one hand to unlock the vise to move it as you do when repositioning the Positioning Vise's crown. Lots of people use the Positioning Vise and love it.

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
I like both. For rings or small things I can use the positioning vise for bigger items I can lock down the vise and use a turntable. I got in the Shimpo clay turning table because it was cheaper than the one from GRS However I am not really happy with it it wobbles some and there is no control in its turning ( i.e. no way to tension down the movement ) Also it is still a bit high. I am looking forward to seeing GRS at the FEGA show and hopefully they will have one there for me to play with and if I like it I can start to save up some money for a future purchase. Any way thats my 2 cents

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks all.
2" could bring a body closer to centre. Be ecspecially handy outside of scope work.
I should mention, I currently do use a turntable.
I'm more asking out of pure unadulterated curiosity. A desire to see the mechanics at work.
Also to see a glide-lock in full swing, would be on my wish list.
Thank you

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i made a gadget based on a similar one posted on the forum quite some time ago. mine has one drawback. to change position of the practice piece, one must loosen a hex head bolt under the gadget. then it must be tightened again. for me not a real problem. i never measured the xtra travel this allowed over the regular centering vise, but it does extend the area somewhat. details/ fotos-- jayismonk450@gmail.com
no pm please !!

Last edited:

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use a positioning vise on my turntable. It makes getting new areas centered much quicker for me. It may be overkill, but it's what I use.

Latest posts

Sponsors