Mounting a small piece (pitch)?

Rolland

I am going to need to mount a small piece of silver to engrave for a spur. being new to this craft I have read that pitch is used to secure it to a larger base.
Can someone explain to me what pitch is and how it is used, yes I am really new and somewhat out of my element but I will endeavor to persevere. :thinking:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Rolland,Pitch is like tar it mess to use,I would suggest you get a good glue gun and blocks of wood for holding the parts that's what I use for all small gun parts I engrave. J.J.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
GRS does sell a 2 inch diameter pitch cup that can be clamped in your vise. It's also available without the pitch and can be filled with Thermo-loc instead.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Pitch is OK for some things, but not the black stuff. Northwest pitch works sell the good stuff I like the med green YMMV

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
I second the hot glue on a block of wood.....spray with denatured alcohol when finished and pop it off the block....

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
I've been using the black pitch for many years now and use it to hold most of my engraving work. Good adhesion to the work piece, releases after some time in the freezer, I work from home, and what little clean up is done with 90% alcohol. Quick fixtures for all the odd stuff and make great shallow bowl, gouge out about an 1/8" deep in some hard wood and add the pitch until it's a little above the level point. The hot glue and Thermo Loc work well also but I go back to what works best for me for most things.
Mark

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I prefer jewelers setters shellac over pitch. But there are a myriad of different ways to accomplish the same end.

Thermolock and other thermoplastics, shellac, hot glue, pitch, etc all work. If you've got lots of nooks or filigree piercing I prefer the shellac as it flows in all those spots really well.

Any leftover residue can be dissolved/softened with acetone.

Flat sturdy items an even be secured to wood or larger metal pieces with carpet tape.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am going to need to mount a small piece of silver to engrave for a spur. being new to this craft I have read that pitch is used to secure it to a larger base.
Can someone explain to me what pitch is and how it is used, yes I am really new and somewhat out of my element but I will endeavor to persevere. :thinking:

Hi Rolland-

I'll be glad to actually answer the question you asked, while resisting the urge to tell you every other way of fixturing a piece without pitch.

engraver's or chaser's pitch is a mixture of asphalt (bum a fist sized chunk off a hot tar roofing crew next time you see them working), beeswax, and usually some dry plaster of Paris. the recipes vary, more beeswax makes it harder, etc. it works very well for holding odd-shaped parts, but it's messy and in recent years there are better options for most situations. i still use it for the occasional odd circumstance- for example, i'll mold a steel buttplate with bondo on a block of wood, then put a thin layer of hot pitch under it to eliminate vibration, rather than just use a couple screws thru the holes.

Latest posts

Sponsors