Announcement: Cutting & Shading Practice - Acanthus/arabesque scroll

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Dale

IF you THINK you can, you can.
IF you THINK you can't, you can't.

Forget the overall picture!
Pick out ONE tiny piece and practice it until you get it right.

FORGET EVERYTHING ELSE,
BUT THAT LITTLE TINY PIECE!

Even if it takes you 100 OR MORE attempts, keep at it. :beatup:

Jeff

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i'm with Sam on this one. yes, that side leaf is a bit unconventional, but occasionally you run into a situation where a leaf or scroll needs to fill an 'alcove' in a pattern or otherwise has to go where a strictly traditional layout is problematic. sometimes you gotta know when to do it 'wrong', and know the right way to do that.

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Well I had a go and here it is I did mess up the shading on Sam sticky outy bit and didn't finish the shading on that one so cut another modified version but I think I rushed the shading on it a little should have thought about it some more anyway photos plate approx 2" sq sorry about images found it a bit hard getting them totally clear

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Ray

celticjohn

Here's my latest attempt. This is my 3rd attempt....first one was fine until I started the shading.....ditched that.....second one was looking good until I changes gravers half way through and that went in the bin....This latest attempt I'm happy with....took about 2.5 hours to complete.

No inking used in the finished product.....that's just the way the light catches.....mind you I took about 30 snaps.

Attachments

• shading scroll.jpg
    shading scroll.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
I know what your saying John I snap 20 pics to get my miserable shots light reflecting every which way and they never look as good in the pic as they do in the hand :(
Ray

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
This is great seeing everyone's version of this design. And it's great practice and builds shading "muscle memory" that's so important.

Dale: Watch your line direction. You're ok on a lot of it but there's a couple of places (like the wide leaf) where the shade lines don't follow the growth. FOLLOWING THE GROWTH should probably be the mantra of ornamental engravers as it can make or break a design. Congrats on your cutting though, and I hope you enjoyed it :)

Sam

Staff member
If you guys are having trouble with photography, check out Andy's thread on light painting in the Tips Archive. If you have an iPad, that might be a very effective and easy solution for you. I was amazed at the results I got.

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Sam yes I have read the post and fogot all about andy's thread but will try and remember next time round.
Ray

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
Well I tried.. I tried to do the transfer with inkjet an parchment paper an could get a clean xfer. But I winged it an cut the outline an thought I was doing pretty good but I fell apart when shade time came :(
I will keep trying

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
another attempt

Here`s my second one. Taken with my cellphone. Still many flaws and slips, but better I think:eek:. The folds are totally wrong, and I`m not follow the flow every time, but I now see what`s wrong with some of them by study other`s.

Next time hopefully it will be even better, because I`m learning by my mistakes as most of us do;) Still funny to cut though:graver:

Jørn-Ove

Attachments

• DSC_0179.jpg
    DSC_0179.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 423

Sam

Staff member
Here`s my second one. Taken with my cellphone. Still many flaws and slips, but better I think:eek:. The folds are totally wrong, and I`m not follow the flow every time, but I now see what`s wrong with some of them by study other`s.

Next time hopefully it will be even better, because I`m learning by my mistakes as most of us do;) Still funny to cut though:graver:

Jørn-Ove

Jørn-Ove: I think you did well. Your shading is a bit dense in some areas but you are definitely on the right track with this design. It looks like you're getting a good taper to the shade lines. Some areas just have too many but overall it's very rich. With a bit of fine tuning you can turn this into a perfectly shaded design. Thanks for posting your effort! :thumbsup:

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks again Sam (and others) for taking time and effort to give me feedback. It has been a litle bit difficult to do this because I never seen original engravings with this "awesome standards" before. Just seen pictures/photos of real handengravers on the internett + some old engravings in Tower of London last summer. This practisplates on this forum is great for me trying to be an decent HOBBY-engraver.

Sorry for my english by the way

Regards
Jørn-Ove

heimex

Hello Forum, I'm new here Live in Germany Bavaria or engrave are 3 months,
my english is bad, I translate with a translator;-) beg your pardon.
I have this task so well at the moment I can be engraved with a universal V 116 on copper.
I'll still need a lot of practice to reach your level.
Love greetings from Bavaria

Last edited:

heimex

Hallo Sam,
Top Work!!
How much time did it take you for the work ?
What tool did you use for the engraving?
What tool did you use for the shading?

Thanks
Heimex

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, thank you for your broad-mindedness!

So this is my contribution - sorry for the lettering, was done by eye only, a "quick and dirty"...

sarto-handgravur.jpg

Latest posts

Sponsors