portiats of people

scrupples

does anyone know of someone that has a dvd out that actually show how to shade & shadow portiats of people or has online classes or private classesthat are available

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
First, answer the oft repeated, age old question.
Where are you located, before we can direct you to local instruction.

There are numerous excellent books at local "art/bookstores".
Check with your local community college.
A Google search will produce numerous sources, as well as the aftershock of those touting their online classes once the cookies have dessimated your needs.

Ray Cover (a member here) would be an excellent instructor.

Step 1 is to figure out WHERE the light is coming from in order to position your shading, "Shadow".

The very barebones of shading involves countless dots/punch marks (bulino), while other situations require minute cross hatching (tiny criss crossed slashes). As the shading developes, smear with finger print ink or black acrylic into the cuts to check your progress. Areas needing darker shading, add more dots/cross hatching.

A WORD OF CAUTION- CHECK YOUR PROGRESS OFTEN. ONCE A CUT/ CROSS HATCH LINE IS MADE, YOU CANT EASILY ERASE IT !

I believe Ray has some castings as well as Lee Griffiths and others that would benefit you tremendously. These will allow you to examine , 24 hours a day, their engravings, enabling you to see each dot/line used to attain the desired effect. :chip:

Google "bulino engraving" Tons of references.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i think katherine plummer has some sort of instruction either live or dvd. not sure. send a pm to her to find out. i think she works mostly in scrim.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
surupples,Drawing or engraving the human anatomy is not easy,you must know muscle and bone structure.Here a book by Dover that may help Reginald Marsh Anatomy for the Artists. J.J.

Sponsors