870 Project

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I noticed in your pictures that the handles of your gravers are of the same type commonly used by gun engravers in Germany. Were you trained or influenced by a German engraver?

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
Roger, I have been mainly self taught, but have gotten some advice from engravers over the years, some gone now. I never had one Particular engraver Influence me. I guess I just went in my own direction. The first two books I ever got on the subject was Meeks book and Nimschke's book of his smoked pulled patterns. So maybe there styles have been my building blocks.

The chisel handles that I use Today originally came from Ray V. from Hand Engravers Supply. I tried other styles over the years, but have always come back to them. I have been unable to find anyone who makes them like that today. So I ended up getting a lathe and turning my own.

Getting back to the influence subject. The one book that really help me see many styles of engravers was your first book of American Engravers. I pretty much wore that book out. It was a great inspiration to me to try an improve my work.

I feel so fortunate today as I can have conversations with all the master engravers on this cafe that for so many years I admired their work. So I thank you for taking the time to notice my work and ask the question.

Thanks, ZZ

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger, ZZ is absolutely spot on about your first book. My first 3 books were yours 1980 autographed (found it second hand)Meeks and a stack of old Gun Digests. Went over the pics with magnifier for many hours studying and trying to figure things out. Big influence on how I have spent thousands of hours and dollars. Thanks for your contribution to the modern rebirth of a once slowly fading art form. Fred

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
JJ, I am still debating on what to put on the other side thinking maybe pheasants. I will post photos when I get it completed.

Thanks, ZZ

Latest posts

Sponsors