new sketch

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Shawn, I am a big fan of your designs( as many) and looking at the left I find it a bit straight and a bit "stiff", the right side is just how I know you...
A very nice flowing design in my opinion but only at the right side.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Shawn,

what is it yo are looking for when you post a sketch?. Do you want feedback or a critique. Because if that's the case you need to use the critique button so we know that's the reason for positing the sketches. Otherwise we can only assume you are merely posting your most recent sketch.

It would be helpful to include the outline of what the sketch is intended to be used for. If the border of the design was included it would make more sense.

Chris

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
chris
I have not given any thought as to why I have been posting my sketches.
there might be a couple of people out there that get some inspiration from the drawings.
when I look at yours or sams or martys work I find different leaf structures that I like. from that I then use those ideas to create some of my drawings
for right now I draw to explore different types of leaves. making nice round scrolls.
just fun practice.
I am always trying to improve, so if you choose to critique or add your thoughts ...you are welcome to do so.

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice Shawn. I like the dimension and layering of the elememts and it fills upon itself nicely. But i do have to agree with Willem as the lower left where the scroll starts looks a bit flat on the outer side and not the beautiful curvacious quality of the rest of the scroll. Nicely done though

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
As I work towards becoming a decent engraver, it helps me a lot to see these drawing ideas in progress and to hear what others have to say about them. Thanks for sharing. ~David

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I definitely appreciate the posts. I can tell you that when I'm in a rut I'll sometimes look over your work. You have an eye for leaf development and that flow just doesn't come easy for me. It's nice to drop in and see how you handle certain situations in your work. Keep em coming.
Layne

DevilDog

Shawn,

I am a big fan of your style and craftsmanship. It is quite possible that I have printed all of your drawings as well as your finished pieces. I am like David, in that I use them as guides and inspiration. So, keep them coming........please.

Thanks,
Shawn

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Shawn,
Looks like that "outer" layer of leaves in the lower left is excessive and makes it look "heavy" there.
From the leaf above the small scroll(and maybe the next one above),down to the origin point.
Also, was wondering why the outer leaves at the "top end" of scroll are so much larger than the inner details?
Thanks for sharing!
michael

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think the sketch sits well as it is. I don't have a problem with the weight of the origin. It seems to fit in that it supports the scrollwork extending from it. There's more than one way to achieve balance in a design. I'd cut the sucker!
Layne

Latest posts

Sponsors