Critique Request Drawingattempt

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Hello again. I got a lot of tips from members in a former tread on this forum. They all said that I had to draw and practice with my pencil to understand how the patterns work. During christmasholiday I gave it a try. Here is my first serious attempt on a "scrolldesign". Feel free to give criticism. I think maybe the second scroll is not what it should be. Agree?

Recards

Jørn-Ove

Attachments

• egenscroll1.jpg
    egenscroll1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 635

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
consistent design elements. a bit rough, but improvements will follow, i'm sure. rather good for your first one.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The form is there. And your understanding of it is evident. If my first attempts had been this good I'd be a happy man. Take a good look at your spines for a start. Width, consistency, and the way your leaves connect on the inside. Compare that to some top end work. It's all in the small details now and that only comes with a whole lot of practice.
Keep it coming!
Layne

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for the feedback. I have taken the advise from you Monk and redraw it with some few changes(and thinner lines)

I will do as you say Layne, see how the masters do it and redraw until the design is "perfect":cool::drawing::drawing::drawing:

Jørn-Ove

Attachments

• scrollatt2.jpg
    scrollatt2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 551

monk

Staff member
better i should say. you're far better making errors on paper at first. be it practice plates, or the real deal.

Julia.J

I know so little about scroll designs, that I find it difficult to give any good feedback; but I can tell what I see :)

There's a lot going on in this drawing! Crit first: I'm feeling puzzled- wondering if it's because of the elements all being in equal size or that there's not enough space between the different swirls and leaves that it makes me uncertain of where or what I should be looking at. Remember that you don't have to fill in every gap to make a design interesting. On the bright side I see that you're testing different things along with the fact that your line looks like it's improving with every post; I'd say keep creating and keep us happy by posting more!

~Julia

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Attempt again

Hi, I have taken advice from you all and tried to make another drawing. This time, after drawing, I engraved it to on a knifeblade I found in my drawer. It`s still a lot of improvement to make though, but I`m feel that I`m getting somwhere....I hope.:eek::eek:

Jørn-Ove

Attachments

• scrollstoregen1.jpg
    scrollstoregen1.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_2486-2.jpg
    IMG_2486-2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 384

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for the feedback. I really appreciate it.:thumbsup:

If anyone would like to engrave it for practice, your all welcome:graver:

Now, back to drawing:pencil:. Have to improve my skills.:cool:

Regards
Jørn-Ove

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jørn-Ove ,

Keep it on your archive and one day you will show this drawing for your students as you first steps into your great career
Good luck!

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Another attempt

Hi everyone. I have been reading this forum almoust every day since I signed up. Unfortunately I have not have enough time to draw and practice this year, but maybe next year?;)

Here is another attempt

Feel free to give me critique

Regards
Jørn-Ove

Attachments

• 161214egenscrtegn.jpg
    161214egenscrtegn.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 118

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My eye is drawn to the bald spot at the bottom left just to the right of the origin. You need some fill-in there. Otherwise looks quite nice.

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
My eye is drawn to the bald spot at the bottom left just to the right of the origin. You need some fill-in there. Otherwise looks quite nice.

Yes you right Bruce. I agree. Something missing there, or something is wrong with the whole part of the origin. Any suggestions?

And thank you all for comments, also bad ones. I am nearly 50 years old so I will tolerate them without problems:cool:

Jørn-Ove

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Adder,Two good books on the drawing and understanding of scrolls are Advanced Drawing of Scrolls by Ron Smith and Lee Griffin's book.:thumbsup: J.J.

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you JJ. I have already ordered and "wrapped in" Lee Griffin`s book. It will be my own christmasgift from my children:)

I will follow your advice, so the next book will probably be Ron Smith`s:drawing:

Jørn-Ove

Latest posts

Sponsors