attempt at carlos border

l. bacon

IMG_0635.jpg [
ATTACH=CONFIG]27535[/ATTACH]
This is a bracelet that I made for my wife for Christmas. I thought I would try the carlos border that Shawn and Jerimiah made looking so good. Thanks guys for making such good tutorials. She liked it so maybe I didn't do too bad with it. Tell me what you all think.

Thanks for looking. Larry

Attachments

• IMG_0632.jpg
    IMG_0632.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 392

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Lookin' Good!
Great job cutting your backbones.
Hope you haven't formed it yet as you forgot to put the date in your cartouche! And your location. :beatup:

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Yep, that's what I wanted to add earlier, BUT figured I'd critiqued enough already.
The second pair of handforged spurs that I made, I told the customer," They're all handmade except for the buttons".
Hearing that statement come out of my mouth sounded REALLY STUPID! :beatup:
So, I took the spurs back, threw those in the scrap pile and forged a new 100% handmade pair. No compromises since.
Bacon, a nice script signature WITH THE DATE will top off your art. Just as a painter/sculptor/engraver does.
Other than that, I'm highly impressed! :clapping:
Jeff

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
All of the engravers at FN/Browning in Belgium, including Funken, Vranken, and Bee used a stamp to sign their work. I have a tiny stamp with my initials intertwined that I use on small jobs but engrave my signature on most things.

l. bacon

Thanks guys for your comments, I will rethink using my stamp, logo on jewelry in the future. In my weird little world, the saddle makers and silver buckle makers use stamps; Crumrine, Vogt, Skyline, Gist, Bohlin, etc, My wife has a really nice bracelet made by Diane Scalese with her stamp on it.

atexascowboy2011, photos make me nervous as they distort the item a little but the backbone looks more round by the naked eye. I'm glad you like it.

Roger Bleile, thanks, this is interesting.

Larry

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Yep, stamps are common in strapgoods, saddlemaking and in Western silversmithing.

I don't think that is going to change... because it's also a price point thing.

While I will hand engrave my signature on a very special engraved silver or gold piece - you just can't afford to do that on everything.

My suggestion would be to perhaps redesign a stamp for smaller pieces and jewelry. More the size of a jewelers hallmark.

I'd choose the size of the one you used for bits, spurs, spur straps, maybe even other small leather goods...

Brian

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with Brian for most small stuff.
BUT, a piece that is high dollar or personal, Imo, should be "Signed".

Signed pieces at auction comand exhorbitant prices with the "WOW" factor, partly due to signifying that this is a handmade piece.

Picture this, your signature in script, with a few John Hancock flourishes!, vs. a rubber stamp.

If Hancock had rubber stamped his name...

Your work is too good to follow the pack, LEAD IT!

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Just noticed something else.
Your X AND your Carlos dip are excellent.
Experiment with a running X and maybe an X- Carlos single dip-X. Gold and silver inlay?

a.raymond

Larry
That looks great! Can't wait to see you in May ay Pendleton. Nice border I have tried it a couple times and I think it looks really nice on bracelets.

Amy

Sponsors