Announcement: GRS dual angle, parallel heel

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the link Sam. That's made my day. :thumbsup:

I do like a parallel heel and have often wondered about a formula.

When sharpening, I go through days where I'll use the grs dual angle fixture and then try Steve's templates again, for a parellel heel. My only problem is that because I have very small hands, by the time the graver is absolutely perfect for me, it's getting too short to be used in Steve's templates. I thought I'd solved it by using one of his extension pieces, but unfortunately they don't fit into the template holder!
I think it would be reatively easy to resolve, so maybe I'll send him a message.

Thanks again,

Jo

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Jo
Try low temp soldering an extension to your graver. Use an inch or so of 3/32 or whatever size HSS. Then unsolder and put back into your handpiece.
It works for H&C! ;)
Jeff

Last edited:

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Jo
After further engineering studies (another Coors :beerchug:Light), I think you can reduce your template size by 50%, then place a 1/4" pad AGAINST the base of the stone for the template to ride on and then sharpen your shorty as a getby until Steve can fabricate a longer holder for the shorter gravers. This should put the short graver closer to the stone and at the same time keep the same angles to the stones. Maybe!
Alls it'll cost you is a piece of Delrin and a little fabrication time ,IF, it doesn't work.
Jeff

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You're welcome folks, but don't thank me...thank the guys who wrote the spreadsheet. They get the credit :thumbsup:

I've put it in the Tips Archive for future reference.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the way terrezar does it & the way the spreadsheet does it, the numbers aren't even close. what's wrong wiff my cerebrations ?

Terrezar

Elite Cafe Member
The way I have done it only applies to a graver with a 45 degree face, and it does only tell how much you got to rotate it for every other degree of heel. The spreadsheet is more easy because it gives you the final result, no matter what geometry you use, while my way needs a little calculating in the end to get the final result.

I have not tried the spreadsheet, but I assume it works with Tangens, Cosinus and Sinus (gemometrical mathematics that is constructed to calculate tridants), as well as a few multiplikationsystems, just as my own system.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
ok, thanks for the info here. just a bit easier to learn where i went wrong.

eduardo

Hi, Sam. So on this type of heel, is it possible to make it radius?. You know,
like on the flats.