+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Diary of a Novice

Hello!

I'm gathering up courage to make a first post to this wonderful site; been reading through countless amount of posts and made enough notes to fill a book...all I can say is: I'm so excited!

As I'm completely new to the world of engraving, thought it would be a nice idea to start to keep some sort of diary of my own progress. I've gathered some basic tools already, but as they're quite expensive I'm buying a little at a time and drooling on those shiny parts I can't yet afford to buy

I've had a setup for a few days now and oh jeez that I'm struggling to even hold the graver...but it's so much fun! I'm like a kid in a candy store. Don't think I'm going to post pictures of the first plate as it's like a bomb field with sharp things to cut yourself with (note to self; it's not a good idea to sweep the plate with a finger to get rid of those metal sticks, real sharp things). Managed to do a few lines tho', which I'm quite proud of. I'll take some photos soon enough, I promise.

Well, engraving is new to me, but I've done quite a bit of drawing in the past and I'm familiar with the basic concept of getting things down on paper. I have a whole arsenal of arty equipment that I've harvested during the 10 year of experimentation and can't wait to get those to use as well.

I made a little concept drawing today of a scroll frog that I wish to engrave someday...might not be the easiest to start with: If I managed to load it, it's in the post If anyone is interested I can write a little tutorial of how to use a light table and ink/pens to help with the designing part. hm?

To be continued, much likely with a whole lot of questions!

Take care,
    ~Julia
    Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Please do! Tutorials are always good. I wish I had your drawing skills.

Thanks for sharing and welcome.

Carlos De La O III
    Saludos,
    Carlos

www.gunengraver.com

"strive to produce work that the very best engravers do, set your mark high, aim for it, but don't be disappointed when you don't get to 100%, you will have done your best and that's what counts" - Phil Coggan

3. Likes gcleaker, Julia.J liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, the adventure begins. Very cool frog

5. Likes Julia.J liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Julia... you're half way there... you can draw!

Jo

7. Likes JJ Roberts, Julia.J liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the frog! Reminds me of one I did a few years ago. I'd love to see more.
    http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6215/6...815d290e_o.jpg

He's got fountain pen nib details.
    Learn how we help send kids to college.
    Newton Pens

9. Likes Julia.J liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Julia, Welcome , with drawing skills like that is like Jo said, you are more than half way there, anything you can share with us will be great, I know I am not the only one that would like a magic pencil to draw with, but every little thing helps, most of us newbies are hungry for knowledge, thanks,

Richard.

11. Likes gcleaker, Julia.J liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Julia glad to have you. Now have fun !!!

13. Likes Julia.J liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great drawing and welcome to the Cafe, Julia
    What you're doing on paper will work perfectly for engraving. I'm curious know of it you used Illustrator for part of it.

Cheers / ~Sam

Join me on Facebook

Sam on Instagram

:::: Leave more than you take ::::

15. Likes Julia.J liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

you're more than welcome to participate here. with your skill at drawing, your lightbox ideas may help others to improve upon what they do. i hope you continue and excell in your engraving pursuit.

17. Likes Julia.J liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is one awesome drawing!
    Your treefrog would look great on the side of a domed concho, as it works its way to the top! The frog, limbs and leaves sculpted in bronze, then patina the frog and leaves varying shades of green, while leaving the limb an antiqued dark brown to simulate the wood would be a real eyecatcher! Throw in his tongue zipping out to snare his evening meal of fly and you have a real conversation piece!
    Oh, yeah and welcome to the Cafe!
    It's always good to infuse new ideas into our hodgepodge!
    Jeff
    ECCENTRICITY LEADS TO CREATIVITY -J. Turner

IT TAKES CONSIDERABLE KNOWLEDGE, TO REALIZE THE EXTENT OF YOUR IGNORNANCE ! Sowell

19. Likes Julia.J liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast