Question: Font for inlay (gold 18k on sterling)

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Okay thank you all for looking I'm doing a single letter on sterling silver bracelet going to be centered right in the middle going to be using 20 gauge 18 karat gold is there a particular font you guys recommend.

Carlos De La O III

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
18k into sterling might be difficult. In fact 18k into steel can be very stubborn. 24k is much more cooperative and there's no savings using 18k because of the extra labor involved in inlaying it.

Assuming you know how to undercut and inlay, use whatever letter style is most appropriate for the job. If you want something that minimizes work, then a typeface without serifs and thick & thin elements is going to go considerably faster. Copperplate is a good one. It has short serifs which you can eliminate.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos, you can "inlay" this into sterling by cutting it in as though you would do for a normal inlay except that you just silver solder it into the cavity instead of raising teeth ect. I have done this myself with good results. This would allow you to even dome a cuff bracelet after the process. Although it is not held in place via cold jointing as on steel,it still qualifies as an inlay,just not on steel ect!!!!!!!!!!

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam

Thank you, won't make the mistake of buying anything less than 24k next time.

Carlos De La O III

Carlos, good luck! However I prefer to buy 24k. You can spend a lot of time with a very bad result. Believe me, I had experience like this.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos, you can "inlay" this into sterling by cutting it in as though you would do for a normal inlay except that you just silver solder it into the cavity instead of raising teeth ect. I have done this myself with good results. This would allow you to even dome a cuff bracelet after the process. Although it is not held in place via cold jointing as on steel,it still qualifies as an inlay,just not on steel ect!!!!!!!!!!

I have a newfound jeweler friend that was silver soldering a ring made out of silver wire I'm sure he could help me I would just need some more info on how this is done

Carlos De La O III

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Any way you look at it this will be a tough one with 18k. It's just one tough metal and will most definitely distort any silver it's inlayed into using traditional techniques. Soldering in place would be possible but everything will need to be cut dead on and the 18k cut perfectly to fit the recess. With 24 there is room to move the metal around as you are working it. Kind of like putty. Not so with 18. Remember that solder wont fill large gaps well.
Good luck with it. If your friend is a skilled jeweler he should be able to help but he'll cuss you the whole way through!!
Layne

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Southern custom is right. As is silverchip.
Once you cut the seat for your gold you will have some small latitude to tighten things up. But it will be pushing the sterling over the gold.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Carlos
L I S T E N :beatup: to your elders!
They have paid for their sins, so we shouldn't have to suffer in vain.
Jeff

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
Well after reading,maybe set it like ;
Cut the cavity under sized,then push the silver away to the proper size.
This will leave excess silver to seat the gold.
Ont know if it could be bent/domed after,unless soldered.
michael

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos
L I S T E N :beatup: to your elders!
They have paid for their sins, so we shouldn't have to suffer in vain.
Jeff

Cowboy who is not lightening? I agreed with Sam, but I do like silver chips idea since I already have it, and rose gold gets inlayed, just want advice from those who inlay that gold, its not 24k.

Carlos De La O III

Sponsors