Thermoloc Assistance

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've used thermoloc for several years now. And all of the sudden I'm concerned about a project. I'm about to start engraving 16 knives with assorted scale materials.

I'm planning on using 3M blue painters tape to protect the scales.

My question is, will the tape affect any of the following: stabalized wood burls, giraffe bone, or especially mammoth tooth?

My guess is no, but I don't want to mess these up.

Thanks in advance.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
People also use plastic bags instead of the tape, creates a barrier with no possibility of a sticky residue.

;):D:)
Carlos De La O III

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
As far as I know painter's tape should not be a problem for any of those materials.

mrthe

Like Sam say for me painters tape work well , i had make some knife and no problem.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
stabilized wood of any species is very durable stuff. im thinkin mammoth tooth, maybe. the bone, why not be safe- i began using the plastic bag with thermoloc as a result of a post maybe 2 years ago. this will certainly act as a barrier, with no danger of residue getting thru it. if you make a reuseable thermoloc "fixture" that's even better. once you make it, it's ready for many jobs after the first one is long gone.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just be careful that the thermoloc is only as hot as it needs to be to form around the knife. Heat can have an effect on some of these materials,but as general rule you're pretty safe with taped up scales.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i know grs sells a few toys designed to work with thermoloc. all are reuseable and make the work of fixturing somewhat speedier. tney also sell a contour gadget for knives and pocket watches. i've not used these, but conceptually, they should work well.

Latest posts

Sponsors