getting set up

Newton Pens

Elite Cafe Member
hey everybody!

i fell off the face of the planet for a minute - but I'm back.

:)

So I want to get the graversmith setup from GRS and the qc monarch. I figure something light duty will be plenty for engraving pens - and I like the shape of the handle. :)

QC Monarch - 004-921
Monarch Handpiece
(#004-921)

$269.00

GraverSmith - 004-895
(#004-895)

$795.00

Is there ANYthing else that I NEED to get going? I don't want to order this and then find out that I need a tiny part or some other filter thing just so I can USE it.
I already have an air compressor - as far as I know it's an oil free setup. I don't have to oil it. So...

Thanks!
Shawn

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
How do you plan to sharpen?

Personally I would go for the 901 handpiece but the Monarch might serve you well.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I use my gravermax almost everyday. I still have several dozen wood handled gravers, but have turned them into more specialty tip...very fine, narrow or whatever I need. I mostly use C-max gravers with the gravermax, and love having the handle (actually I have 4). I can put one of my gravers into a handle and finish up a corner, do almost anything that doesn't require power. No need to turn on the compressor for a tiny cut!

Newton Pens

Elite Cafe Member
So the handle that comes with the kit is just a handle to put the quick change pieces into to use them for hand push?
OH.

I don't need that. :)

Sam

Staff member
The $279 kit will suffice. The 901 is much more versatile so I think it's a better choice over the Monarch. My opinion of course.

Newton Pens

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks! So that and the graversmith, plus my air compressor and I'll be all set up?
If that's all I need then I'm good to go. :)

Sam

Staff member
There's no such thing as "all i need" :) This should get you going though. The GraverSmith is an excellent machine and I can do my best quality of work with one if that's what I had.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There's no such thing as "all i need" :) This should get you going though. The GraverSmith is an excellent machine and I can do my best quality of work with one if that's what I had.

Oh your sooooooooooooo right! All I need, I wish that were true

Carlos De La O III

Newton Pens

Elite Cafe Member
Not sure if a vice would work for me or not.
When I get my setup going I'll take a vid to show how I hold and work.
Hopefully I can get some good advice...

Actually - what about those dental arms? I seem to remember a multi jointed light holder or rotary tool holder that would be perfect for this. I could make a mandrel that would fit the end of the jointed arm thing and put my pen parts on that. Hmmm.....
:D

Something like this maybe...
http://www.phototools.com/product/2...oduct-search&gclid=CK3_hc3wzrsCFUho7Aod7lIAEA

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_P8hcKXCcRT8/RqPdCUK-8gI/AAAAAAAAAEM/aco6OY8AQIo/s320/Open+ring+in+vise.jpg

This? Oh this is brilliant!

Now to find a vice..
hm... may have to sell a few more pens. ;)

I carve game calls, I made a set that works/looks like a 5C collet indexer that lets me rotate the call body between centers as I carve. But I cannot swing it around like a on a ball vise. Rotating that pen tube between centers and being able to rotate the entire thing on a ball vise would be nice, but I think keeping it clamped between those 2 cones will restrict the turning between centers.

As to getting all of the tools, I am sure this gig will be like penturning, there is always another tool you will want, you may not need it, but you will want it. LOL

Newton Pens

Elite Cafe Member
I don't think I'll need much more - except maybe the power hone. With penturning, I've pretty much got everything I need. Most of the parts I need I can make (taps and mandrels) and everything else is for the customer. :)

I'm sure the more I learn about this the more I'll want... oh my goodness...
Hopefully it will pay for itself, too...

:)

Southtexas

Elite Cafe Member
Since you have the capability to make some of this stuff. Consider using a standard or a drill press vise with the adapter made for it and put the whole thing on a turntable for rotation. You can have the mass you need without spending big bucks on a ball vise (at least to begin with).
Cliff

I have a vise like this one, nice and heavy. And inexpensive http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-in...p-00924083000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2
And I use the LapWorks turntables from Amazon, smooth and also inexpensive.

Last edited:

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
You may want to reconsider using a DMT diamond stone product due to the many pockets and drops in the uniformity of the surface, which may cause the small graver point to bounce and thusly somewhat roll the point. You'd need a continuously flat surface with a somewhat uniform and even distribution of abrasive particles. The DMT product, as shown, is great for its intended use, but not too good for the graver sharpening task. There are much more suitable diamond stones, as well as conventional stones, more suitable for sharpening gravers.

Latest posts

Sponsors