Graver sharpen angle ?

Rolland

I was watching a video on silver engraving and the guy was using what appeared to be a flat chisel it looked to be about 3/16 wide shaped graver. As I am very new to this craft I was interested in knowing if this is a common tool and what the angles on the graver would be. He was not using a hammer
I will try to find the video again it was posted on you tube.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hell-o Rolland, Welcome to the café'. Western bright cut style engraving is quit often cut with flat chisel type gravers referred to as flats. Some folks do lettering with them as well. Bright cut is fast to cut and shows up with sparkle at a distance. As you spend time here with us you will see many fine examples of bright cut, single point gun style engraving, lettering, photorealistic cutting done with dots, lines or both. Enjoy the adventure. look through the photo gallery and the tips sections. Don't forget the search function. Fred

Southtexas

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome Rolland. Several of the videos "appear" to have wider blades like that but it's due to the 2 dimensional view and looking at a standard flat graver from about 45 degrees above and to the side. A standard flat is about 3/8" tall but quite narrow. Perhaps I'm all wet, but I think that's likely to be what has confused you.
Cliff

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That question seems like you guys live in close proximity. .. lucky lucky lucky, I hope I'm right

Carlos De La O III

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
graver angles ? you need to go to the tips section- this is covered there as well as nearly 20% of the pages on the forum. adjust your reading glasses and start poking around- you'll find your answers.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
My advice would be to look at Weldon47's work and think about taking his engraving class. When I teach someone to build spurs, they MUST learn basic engraving techniques FIRST! This way, when they finish their first pair, they can put do a passable job of putting the pretties on.
Get with Bill Heisman in Tuscon and Gary Hakes up around the Prescott area for the finer or basic aspects of spur making. Also you can email me with problems at "thekokopellicowboy@gmail.com".
It also helps to be athletic in that you find yourself wanting to best your previous spur chunking record after putting in a hundred plus hours on a piece and then seeing a blatent screwup! :beatup:
Good luck
Jeff

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Fred
Remember, you're talkin at a Texican. I'm lost on your reply. Scratchin' head little domajiggy, of which Sam needs to speciffically put in the arsenal for us Texicans. A little guy scratchin' his noggin with a graver? :biggrin:
Merry Christmas!
Jeff

wdale.bass

I am mainly a Western Bright Cut guy, I use a #43 flat. 371/2 face, heel 0-20 degrees,long sloping heel to scoop those cuts.Radius that heel about 3/16 long.works great for me,its the way I teach my students to bright cut.

monk

Staff member
to the educationally deprived, camels happen to be a brand of cigarette.

Rolland

I am mainly a Western Bright Cut guy, I use a #43 flat. 371/2 face, heel 0-20 degrees,long sloping heel to scoop those cuts.Radius that heel about 3/16 long.works great for me,its the way I teach my students to bright cut.

I can figure out a #43 flat but 371/2 face escapes me. Being very new to this craft I need photos, drawings, and other visual aids. Like the guy says I know all there is to know about the subject just don't understand the words.
I used to smoke camels then they sent me home.:banana:

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
rolland: i used mail pouch in first grade. just kept tellin the teacher i had an infected tooth. never was sent home !

Sponsors