has anybody seen

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
in sams' video on jewelry, he briefly shows a marking guage . he got the idea for this from mr ec prudhomme. anybody know what this looks like or have a foto of it ?

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
He showed it briefly in his lettering DVD I believe. I'm sure Sam will post a pic when he reads this post. And maybe a how too. Wink wink

monk

Staff member
well, if i can see it--i'll not need a "how to" i'll just make one like it. that's unless there's patent numbers on it. if there's a number, good lord, your honor, i surely didn't see that tiny little number on it !

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
My apologies monkeyman. I told you I'd photograph this and it slipped my mind.

I made it from 1/8" oil hardening stock, but it's not been hardened. The brass slide is a 1/8" piece of brass with a thin piece wrapped around it to produce the square hole, and then silver soldered. The pin is just a piece of brass with a slight radius instead of a needle point. On the opposite end there's a piece of brass with the ends peended to keep it from sliding off. As you can see, it's about 6" long.

marking_gauge.jpg

monk

Staff member
ah, thank you very much sam. i like making things like this and am always looking at old stuff to get ideas. i have 4 or 5 store bought ones-- not worth a hoot in you know where. i just may use a chunk of copper or maybe silver to do one. thanks again.

Sam

Staff member
page 108, The Jewelry Engravers Manual, Van Nostrand Reinhold Company. Originally published in 1954. Just proves that good tool design has staying power. <grin>
Cliff

I think I have that book somewhere. I'll have to look that up. I'll bet that's where Prudhomme got the idea.

It does what it's supposed to do monk. Not finely made or super precise but it's worked for me for a lotta years.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
After watching Sam's lettering video,I remembered I had an old compass set that I bought at a sale, and made mine from the extension arm of it, you can get new ones but this is made of brass instead of plastic, :rolleyes: I also machined a graduated scale to it, just for something to do,;) the good thing is you can lock it in place with the thumb screw, the brass plate on it is a bit of an overkill and was not really necessary, :eek:
cheers,

Richard.

Attachments

• IMG_1137.jpg
    IMG_1137.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 142

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Before that I made one from 1/8'' round steel filed flat on top, with a machined brass slider with a grub screw to stop it from turning, and a softer copper scriber

Richard.

Attachments

• IMG_1371.jpg
    IMG_1371.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 141

santos

Elite Cafe Member
After watching Sam's lettering DvD , I made my own marquing gauge ( " trusquin" in french) ;)
P1080343.jpg
thank you sam , it's one of my favourites DVDs

Southtexas

Elite Cafe Member
I've made a few with modifications I recommend making the point from 1.8mm round carbide and grinding a flat side so it can be set right to 0.mm. polish the tip so it leaves a mark rather than a scratch.
And I went the opposite direction... The Jewelry Engravers Manual called for 'pegwood' so I used a bit of bamboo skewer. Seems to work fine and doesn't scratch.
Cliff

leo

Elite Cafe Member
hey guys if u don't want to make your own lee valley tools sells them in all different shape and size just go to www.leevalley.com go to online catalog and its page 4 and 5

Sam

Staff member
Those Lee Valley gauges are nice. I ordered the brass one. Thanks for the heads-up :thumbsup:

Sponsors