Hobbyest's

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
Just curious, how many here engrave just for their own amusment and don't intend to engrave on a commercial basis?.

Cody

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Cody, right now I'm a serious hobbyist, I do have articles for sale but not on any commericial level. Now if I could just convince my wife to quit this pesky day job...................:)
Kent

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I am a hobbyist. I build rifles as a hobby. I do some knife building. I engrave to complete these hobby items I build. People have ask me to do engraving work for them. I always say no. My experience in having hobbies is that once you start selling your items the fun goes with the sale and the hobby is lost forever.
I just don't want the phone ringing and some one saying is my widgit done.:D

Norm

Hi Cody,

I definitely consider myself a hobbyist, although my goal is to one day turn this into a viable business. I agree that the fun can be whittled away when a hobby turns into something more serious, however I do believe it is best if possible to do what you enjoy. What's that saying?...A bad day golfing is better than a good day at work.

jacques herbst

Elite Cafe Member
i am just learning and will see where it might take me.i have been making jewellery as my only income for some time now and must say it does not spoil it for me i love it and i am sure most engravers would say the same for there job.sure some things is awfull to make but it is your job to stear the customer towards wat you would like to make(engrave) you are the designer and artist and thay came to you for a reason.customers also bring me intresting jobs things i would never have thought of or would have had the opertunety to work on.i am sure that engraving for customers would add some new skills and browden your mind in time.

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with Glenn , although I commend anyone who can make a profession out of engraving. If your a hobbiest it kind of takes the fun out of it when you start charging or selling your work. Its no longer a hobby it is now your work so to speak.

Mick

By proffesion I am a Jewler/Goldsmith. Engraving has enhanced the product that I design and produce. I can also see in the future giving up the torch totaly and taking up the graver full time.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Right now I am a serious hobbiest with the intention of having my work pay for the "playthings" (neccesary equipment?) to do what I think I need to do, if that makes any sense. I'm retired so I don't need the money to live on, just to support my habit.

Bill