Help, please: Cherub carving

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Let me preface this by saying I was never even able to complete a neckerchief slide carving at summer camp.

I am trying to carve a pair of cherubs to be inlet into the headboard of the baby cradle I'm making for my granddaughter who will be born in Jan. This is my second attempt. I tried the 1st one in applewood, but it was punky in areas and wouldn't cut cleanly. This one is in hard maple. The picture is clickable for larger size.

I've never modeled anything before. Are there any glaring things that need to be/ or can even be corrected? I'm about half done and haven't done any hair or feather detail yet, or any rounding over of edges.

Last edited:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The books are full of "wood engravings." The tools are different but accomplish the same thing as metal engraving. I see this as sculpting in low relief, the same as a hobo nickel or some of the animals you guys carve into guns. Only the medium is different, wood instead of metal.

If this were a beginner carving his first hobo nickel, what comments would you make about the exercise?
What needs improving? What is out of whack? What can be corrected and/or what is beyond repair?
Woodcarvers work is more "in the round" whereas this is flat relief. It will not be as detailed as fine engraving.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Man that is really nice. That will be cherished long after we are all gone.

Todd

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful wood and you've done it justice!
Thanks, Layne. The beauty of the wood wasn't apparent when I started. The boards were of random length, width, and thickness up to 1-1/2". They looked like this:

A lot of cutting, planing, working around knots and wormholes, etc to get them to this stage. Finished engraving a German silver name plate for the footboard and got it screwed on last nite. It gets rubbed with a couple of coats of Antiquax today and then we head down to River Ridge,LA to deliver it. The baby has turned and is ready to pop any day now.

Latest posts

Sponsors