Leica mz6 objective

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Have assembled a pretty mean mz6 over the years. Had ground down a lens to serve as an objective, but that went missing in a move. I always scour around for the correct lens, but.... Was wondering if anybody with an m series Leica, or a wild ms5, have found that any other brands of objective work with their rigs?
Thanks in advance if any bodies got any answers:)
Gwaai

Southtexas

Elite Cafe Member
You might give http://www.usascopes.com/index.html a call. They make some leica clones and carry accessories. I've gotten eyepieces from them for my sz4 and they seem to be good quality optics. I spoke with Lee Vanta, Sales Manager, Tel: 888-270-0828 ext 7 he was very helpful and seemed to know the models and compatibility. Hope this helps.
Cliff

Last edited:

mrthe

You can contact with Tira too i'm sure that can help you with Leica stuffs ;)

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you. I have been in touch with USA scopes, they seem pretty helpful. Just making sure I don't already have what they are selling.
Have a Chinese objective w the necessary 50 mm thread, but the thread spacing is off. Also the lens doesn't work without my 1x on already.
I haven't tried unscrewing the little notched ring that serves as a keeper for my 1x. Might be an answer. Maybe the pitch is a little different on the secondary threads?
Yes. Tira has been dealing in these new lei as that some have been raving about on here right?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
someone on the forum gave me a heads up on that. i needed a .5 for my leica. none were available at the time. so i used a .5 from another manufacturer. the fit was off by amm or so. i simply glued the lens in place with several dots of hotmelt. guess you could say i got lucky. ymmv

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Oh and the thread for our Mz6 scopes are 49.9 mm that's why it's just a hair off!

Thanks for that info. It is weirdly not readily available. Maybe I can just jenny chase my thread with a needle file to get it to seat.
I have a few now, But they are all just slightly haywire. Ha

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
someone on the forum gave me a heads up on that. i needed a .5 for my leica. none were available at the time. so i used a .5 from another manufacturer. the fit was off by amm or so. i simply glued the lens in place with several dots of hotmelt. guess you could say i got lucky. ymmv

First workable model I just boat a -6 (I think?) diopter and ground it to fit into a pic pipe. The pipe I shaved for a snug fit in the scope mount. Apiece of tape wound around the nipple gave me a tension fit. Secondary little strips of tape put my mind at ease.

Steve L S

This site has been very helpful to me so I thought I would add what I know to this thread which may help someone else who stumbles across one of these microscopes.

Leica Microsystems Australasia told me there are no 0.5x objectives for MZ6 sitting on any of their shelves anywhere in the world. The MZ6 was upgraded to the M60 and the .5x objective for the M60 is the one which matches the optics of the MZ6. The M60 objective will not screw directly into the body of the MZ6 so an adaptor part No 10450551 must be purchased at the same time – all up with freight AU $622.00,EU 390.00, USD $441.00, and this is in keeping with Leica camera lenses which have always commanded a premium in price. So if you stumble across one of these scopes at a good price you would have to factor in the cost of a .5x objective and adaptor or do what others have done and Frankenstein it up with someone else's objective

Finally, and I have dug up the delivery docket to get my facts straight, the package was delivered from Singapore and the delivery docket reads for the objective “country of origin : CNâ€￾ and for the adaptor “country of origin TWâ€￾ :eek:

Steve

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks for that info. It is weirdly not readily available. Maybe I can just jenny chase my thread with a needle file to get it to seat.
I have a few now, But they are all just slightly haywire. Ha

the fitup i did was in perfect optical plane. only problem, if i ever wanted to remove the .5, i'd need a blowtorch !

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
...and this is in keeping with Leica camera lenses which have always commanded a premium in price. So if you stumble across one of these scopes at a good price you would have to factor in the cost of a .5x objective and adaptor or do what others have done and Frankenstein it up with someone else's objective

Steve

You're in the big leagues when you play the Leica and Zeiss game, so expect everything to be crazy expensive, and it gets even worse with photographic lenses. :eek:

I once tried a Meiji 0.5x on when I got my Zeiss scope and it would not work. It fit, but the image was out of whack in a way I can't really describe. There is no 0.5x objective for my Zeiss scopes either, so I used 0.63x for a long time and in the past couple of years have switched to Zeiss 0.4x objectives for a much greater working distance (8") and wider field of view.

In all fairness I should test the Meiji 0.5x on my Zeiss scope again. It was a new scope and maybe it was me and not the lens. I'll do that one day and report back.

BUT REMEMBER - You have some of the finest optics in the world in your Leica microscope. I would advise sticking with a Leica objective as opposed to another brand that is almost guaranteed to be inferior to some degree, and not designed and optimized for Leica optics. MHO.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had the same thing when I tried to use another .5 pm the Leica. I think it was a b&L. I think I finally got it to work in series with the 1x that came with it.
As I said, the diopter (blank glasses glass) worked for a spell. But got a bit of rainbow fuzz. Still very workable.