forum noob..

Tomyboy

Hello everyone!, bin lurking here for a while and decided to grow a pair and post... which is daunting to say the least consider the skill of everyone i've seen.

This forum has bin such a huge inspiration to me, i just wanted to say how much i appreciate it and would like to come out of my shell more and post my triumphs and folly's. Currently i've bin engraving 4years now but sad to say i didn't realize how important things like the sharpening were.
Only recently i seen the lindsay point and have bin trying to emulate the principle of it, but i do not have a power hone, just stones.
My first graver point has bin the traditional 45 face,45 heels with a 15 degree kick, which is what my mentor uses, it was only until i seen videos of people engraving with such ease that i realized something was wrong. After 4 years of the metal fighting the Losange in tight turns forcing me never to make sharp turn bright cuts and cross hatching which is essential for my style of art i realize i need major help.
But i think doing something the wrong way has is benefits as well, it teaches you humility and patients the quality's i was very lacking in when i began engraving.

Anyway i hope that when i get this new point down so it works for me.... ill post better quality stuff.

think i am the only First Nation engraver on the forum ?

2 years ago stuff, pendants in sliver >>> http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fgdfafbn7.jpg

1 year ago my first non native art piece>> http://img385.imageshack.us/my.php?image=06037en1.jpg

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello Tomboy and welcome to the forum. You'll find many friendly folks here to answer questions and help out with your engraving journey. I very much like the design on the pendants - very cool. Where are you located?

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome Tomyboy,
To have such a rich heritage is a blessing. I like your design so far and look forward to seeing you
expand them. The history of the Covenant Chain is very interesting with engraving and silver work.

The Covenant Chain
Published by; National Museums Of Canada
ISBN 0-660-10348-6 Soft Cover edition
ISBN 0-660-10347-6 Hard Cover edition

You might find it intriguing.

Jim

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
tomyboy: very elegant looking. not the usual sort of thing we see here, very interesting. looking at this work almost has a calming effect on my mind. nice !

Tomyboy

Hello Tomboy and welcome to the forum. You'll find many friendly folks here to answer questions and help out with your engraving journey. I very much like the design on the pendants - very cool. Where are you located?

Vancouver
Beautiful British Columbia

and thanks for the nice comments on my meager work, still working on that new tip bin 3 weeks now lol

Latest posts

Sponsors