Why East to West?

Dave P

I'd try standing on one foot.
Abby

Just be careful what you're doing with that other foot, especially if you're at an airport.

All that talk about coriolis effect is making me dizzy . . . Rotor blades, compass points, north - south, overhead, I gotta sit down before I puke.

I'd like to see a GRS GPS with spell check and auto-scroll.

Bob Bullard

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the help, was a little bit concerned that I was picking up a bad habit that I
would have to try to change when I get to go a class on engraving and I had seem east to
west referred to and thought at the time why, but now I see by everyone answers there
is no set way or as Monk would probably say " If it works do it!"
Bob
P.S
Abby,
I tried standing on one foot but it is kinda hard to do when I'm sitting at the bench
I keep falling , do you think the Tequilla has anything to do with that ?
Bob

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Bob....When I started engraving I had a very difficult time going in the clockwise direction. All my cuts are done in counter clockwise. Also found it is easier for me to stand over the work while using either hammer & chisel or power assist. The only time I sit down is when I'm laying out a design or engraving a game scene and adding shading to scrolls Working in the standing position will eliminate back and neck problems. Go to the thread by Coincutter title "Who Is This Lady and What Is Her Scope"..if you will notice she is making all her cuts with a hand graver in a counter clockwise direction. Hope this will help future engravers. Keep up the good work.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Good Sunday, afternoon to all, and another great cup of coffee to you. I have to say reading through this thread has given me the best laugh that I have enjoyed in a long time, and I did need that.

A couple of other interesting thoughts. Neil Haprliet taught me to hold the chisel in my left hand pointing toward me, or north to south, and I still engrave that way when using the hammer and chisel. And that proverbly explains why my tool always became magnatized.

But now I use the same model Garmen GPS when using power push graver, and now I never need to demagnatize. Another Absolute has been established. It is in the correct GPS.

J.J. Now we have another great topic of debate! Is the German lady engraving in the video Pushing the graver Counter Clockwise or is she turning the vise Clockwise?

Ed DeLorge

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Ed..No debate she is going counter clockwise with the hand tool, and clockwise with the vise. While watching the video I detected a French accent. You were very fortunate to work with Neil. I met Neil at an
NRA convention in Philadelphia. I sat with him for about an hour and he showed me his technique with hammer and chisel. When I got home I gave it a try, but couldn't master it. Keep up the good work.
I too get a laugh now and then. This is a great forum it doesn't get any better then this.

Yours truly,
JJ Rorberts
Manassas, VA

AllanFink1960

hm, maybe an interesting practice plate would be to cut straight lines a couple inches long, radiating from a center point, with the angles about 5 degrees apart, and I bet you would find the angle that is most difficult to control, and the one that is the easiest. It would probably take you less than 15 minutes too. And as I have said in other postings...be sure to sit with your body in BALANCE. If you are out of balance, even the perfect angle will feel off.

I was thinking about drawing with a pencil too. if you have done much of that, you will notice that its easier to draw a straight line perpendicular to your lower arm than it is to draw a line parallel to your lower arm, so its best to rotate the paper to accomodate that. But then you hold a pencil differently than you hold a graver.

Latest posts

Sponsors