Banjo Bling

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey folks!

I cut these recently as a way to get back in the groove (no pun intended) after going through surgery on my neck. Part of my "rehab" program if you will.
These are a couple of tailpieces (string holders) for 5-string banjos. (Hope to dispel the idea that I'm not a banjo lover!)

Enjoy,

Weldon

Attachments

• Banjo3.jpg
    Banjo3.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 177
  • Banjo4.jpg
    Banjo4.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 179

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Weldon, Sorry to hear about the neck surgery. It looks like you've had a speedy recovery.
Love the tailpieces....great stuff (as always)
On the piece on the left....did you stipple that background or beadblast it? Looks nice and smooth.

Brian

P.S. Just picked up a slightly used Schecter C-1 Classic with a hard case for $299.99

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know banjos at all...but those are some fine engravings. I like the designs a lot.

Peter

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Weldon, they're both beautiful, and my favorite is the one on the right. I love the layout...very creative, well balanced, and as Rex said, "classic". Bravo! / ~Sam

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice Weldon. I'm sure they will give those banjos a classy look. Weldon I'm sure you bead blasted after, I'm just wondering what you use to mask off the areas not getting blasted. I use tape but I'm always curious if there's a better way. I believe the tombstone guys use some kind of rubber.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks guys!

Mike,
I (like you) use tape to mask off or protect the area not to be blasted. I use the 3/4 wide frosted scotch tape. As long as you blast at right angles (perpendicular) to the surface it seems to work ok. If you get at an angle though, the tape can peel & cause big problems.
Andrew Biggs can probably tell us more about "blasting mat". From what I understand it is a material that is used to mask off areas like this on stone & glass for sandblasting. The only kind I have seen is really tough but not transparent so, I don't know how I would use it. It is cut with a plotter which is similar to a printer but uses a little razor blade to cut out the design. The stone artist then peels & sticks the design to whatever he is working on and then blasts away!

Weldon

Denny

Elite Cafe Member
Weldon, That is just beautiful. I have been inspired by your work since I first saw it on some mandolin tail pieces on the Mandolin Cafe. I can understand that kind of beauty on a mandolin, but a banjo??? (just kidding they look awesome)

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you, Denny,

The bling gives you something to look at while your fingers are stuck in your ears!

(just kidding, I play a little banjo too!!)

Weldon

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you, Denny,

The bling gives you something to look at while your fingers are stuck in your ears!

(just kidding, I play a little banjo too!!)

Weldon

Good One....glad you can be self deprecating.
I really like them. Especially the second one. I agree with the others that they have an old masters appeal to them. I know for myself that the new powered tools make doing even, consistent lines so easy that we fail to use the varying width of line to our advantage. Your cuts have a life to them that suggests a mastery of your tools and an understanding of just when and how to apply them for effect.
Keep up the great work and thanks for showing it to us.

Latest posts

Sponsors