Building a design

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Phil, great to see the different steps. Do you make transfers after you have finished the design on calc paper? or do you design it on the gun ?
Just very curious how you put the design on the metal surface.

arnaud

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank You Phil for the step by step. I also use the tracing paper on a light box method. It is much more fun to design than doodling around with the computer for me. I do my transfer by tracing with HB pencil on the back then transfer wax and burnisher then scribe. Wonderful to see your steps. Fred

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Phil
I think I speak for many others.
This is the best Tutorial yet.
I hope you continue to the finished Gun.
Thank you for this, and all of your other Posts as well
Ken Crutcher

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
yes, it's interesting to see how others do things. this should be quite informative to the newbies that have an aversion to drawing. thanks for this.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks all for the kind words :)

The design can be transferred either by patting Plasticine on to the surface and burnishing the pencil lines onto it or by scanning and printing out onto transparency sheet and transferring with transfer fluid etc.

Phil

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The instructions were, a front-on elephant, the problem here is that because of the beads and the distance between them, if the ele was put here as is, the whole body would be to small and would not be very impressive, so parts of the beads were removed.

Phil

Montejano

Elite Cafe Member
A beautiful engraved and great photos of the process of design and engraving. Thanks for showing the work.:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
What can one say that has not been said simple WOW !!!!! :clapping: :tiphat: :bow: :thumbsup: :cool:
Thanks Phil always love to see your work
Ray

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks for the great photo series, Phil! I've added it to the Tips Archive. Really fascinating to see you work.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This has been an amazing study on many levels, including your excellent work with the "angel wing" arabesque style leaf motif. Thank you for posting!

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Does the area I have circled in white pose a problem when engraving this gun? Does it get in the way? Just by looking at the photo, I think it would.

Thanks

Attachments

• phil coggan question.jpg
    phil coggan question.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 183