Thoughts on GRS System 3?

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member
I have been looking for low budget set ups and have been looking at the Ngraver system and now the GRS System 3. I did a couple searches on the forum and didn't come up with much for the System 3. At least anything recent. The new system looks like it would be a good starting point, just wondered if anyone would recommend one or the other: Ngraver or System 3.
http://www.grstools.com/engraving-systems/system-3.html
Thanks ahead of time!

I had system 3 for stonesetting,tryed to engrave with it ,but only with very poor result,Sold it and bought Airgraver clasic,I´m now very happy with.
So my advice: save your Money,búy an Air graver or GRS Graversmith.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Should you decide that the System 3 OR the PowerGraver setups are where you would like to start - you can save yourself some money...

I will be putting the two up on the Buy & Sell page within the week.

Or you can PM me now...

I am selling off four complete benches and these tools are on them. Both are in excellent condition.

Brian

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jesse,Buy anything but a System 3,I had two students bring there System 3 to my class and we could'nt do any engraving with them. J.J.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The NgraveE and Foredom both run off the flex shaft and are very cumbersome to use to me. Started with NgraveR and quickly switched to the Gravermiester. Loud but a great working portable system and can be found reasonably on the used market. Just one mans opinion. Fred

Southtexas

Elite Cafe Member
Since the graver hand moves so little I don't find the Foredom flexshaft to be a hindrance. You might note, however, that the gravers are held in a collet with the PowerGraver, not a quick change. For a hobbyist like myself that isn't much of a problem but if you are trying to earn a living with it, that might make a big difference.
Personally I find the PowerGraver handpiece comfortable to use and easy to adjust. I had read some reviews that mentioned a lack of adjustablility with the PowerGraver but I can only think that must have been an earlier version? This one dials from very light cuts to heavy with no problem.
I do like it's ability to do single hits and to run slowly when desired.
I don't see a lot posted about them which is why I'm running off at the mouth a bit. My apologies if I'm bugging anyone.

Cliff

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all very much for the input. Seems as though I will be putting the System 3 off my list. Now leaning more towards the Ngraver.... I figure I shouldn't new to upgrade that system for a while, and a lot of people I have asked about the Ngraver system say they still have their as a back up of sorts. So seems like it might be a solid investment. And save me a few hundred buck from air powered systems. Any further thoughts? Please add... Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
I have an N graver and A classic and Artisan Lindsay. At least 2 of them get used at most engraving sessions. Their are things I like about each .

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, I have a Gravermeister and an NGraver. I use the Gravermeister for everything now but still keep the backup NGraver. I know cost is a major consideration but I find the Gravermeister much more adjustable. My NGraver has a foot pedal but that is its only adjustment, if there is a new model with a dial adjustment its a new ball game to me.

I have been looking at the air powered GRS systems, but right now my Gravermeister is doing the job, a bit loud and hot, and reducing that would be the only reason for me to change from vacuum to air.

I have always felt that you cannot waste money on a good tool. Maybe you could save yourself money in the long run by going to an air powered system. Don't forget the compressor cost, a good one is another $1000.

Have fun
scott99

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member
Scott99 the air compressor has kind of be the deal breaker for me. I can't make myself spend $1000 for a compressor on top of $800-1800 for a system. At least not as a beginner. Thanks for the input all. I really appreciate it!

Last edited:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They System 3 does not have enough power for most firearm engraving situations. The NGraver is not exactly great for what I do either. I ahve used the Lindsey and the GRS products. I believe that with either you will do well. I prefer the GRS, but it is because that is what I started with.

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member
Would you advise against the Ngraver? I understand that the GRS systems are going to be better of course, but do you think the Ngraver is ill suited for a beginner? I do plan to upgrade eventually, but would you advise against the Ngraver overall?

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
Jesse
I don't think your going to get that advise. Unless its from someone that's never used one. The Ngraver is a working tool. Its fit for new and old . Ive never used a GRS product for any length of time. Cant say they would be better or worse.
Your on a Ford Chevy Dodge product match and everyone has their favs. and it will always be the best one.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott99 the air compressor has kind of be the deal breaker for me. I can't make myself spend $1000 for a compressor on top of $800-1800 for a system. At least not as a beginner. Thanks for the input all. I really appreciate it!

No need to buy such an expensive compressor look here?

Search button: result

http://www.engraverscafe.com/showth... of California air ultra quiet air compressor

Carlos De La O III

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member
No need to buy such an expensive compressor look here?

Search button: result

http://www.engraverscafe.com/showth... of California air ultra quiet air compressor

Carlos De La O III

A little late, but I don't see a link...
I am now lookin at the graver smith from grs, I thnk I have found a craftsman air compressor that meets the requirement for it, for a little over $100.

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member
Oh I'm way ahead if you on the ear plugs, I'm the guy, all my buddies give me a hard time for wearing ear and eye protection all the time.

That compressor from the like looks pretty good, is it still working good for you?

Jesse Beckham
Lost Penguin Leather
Wichita Falls, Texas

Latest posts

Sponsors