Bright cutting at the show.

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
In the last few months I have gone to 3 different horse expositions and 1 snaffle bit futurity and had a booth as a vendor. I brought my engraving block as well as some of my gravers. As I demonstrated my style of bright cut engraving, many people were drawn to my booth. This afforded me the opportunity to meet many people who were either accomplished engravers or aspiring engravers, bit & spur makers, saddle makers along with many others who were just plain fascinated. Naturally I plugged the igraver forum and really encouraged them to visit and join this very articulate and helpful community of artisans (I guessed Nov. 7 for the 1000th joining member; don't think I'll win). Here is a photo of a buckle that I demonstrated engraving at the show booth. Lighting at the show was not as favorable as in the shop but it still turned out decent considering the fact. For those of you who are interested, I wriggled the scrolls and brand with a #2 knife graver.

Best regards,
Greg Pauline

jmcutting

Looks like another great buckle!!! wish I could get half of the beauty that you capture while at a booth!

-justin

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Really well cut work Greg. I like the immaculate scrolls and the flowers cut so they appear to face inward. Reminds me of some of Fran Harry's stuff from back in the day.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stunning execution and design, Greg!

I had to go do some stuff in Europe since I dropped you a line about meeting up .... when I drive over from Mendocino to Nevada City to play a few tunes with pals. I will drop another line privately, and see if we can arrange to meet up for a little shop talk?

best

Rod

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Look up NRHA (National Reigning Horse Association) Abby and see if there is a show in your area. You'll be hooked once you see what these athletes (horses) do with a snaffle bit in their mouth. A futurity is a show of young horses I think under 3 years old but don't quote me.

There are many categories of futurities, too many to post here but they are fun if you like horses at all, especially Quarter Horses. A snaffle bit is a bit with a two piece shank with a hinge in the middle that's in the mouth and a ring at each end to attach the reins to. A lot of trainers will start a colt out in this type of bit. Don't get me started on Horses I may never shut up. God bless Bill Horn!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
bright cut buckle

if i owned this, i would never wear it ! just too beautiful to get scratched up !:D

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is a beautiful buckle Greg. I think, as Monk said, it is too nice to get scratched up!

Thanks for posting it.

Peter

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Very clean job that sparkles with professionalism. A beautifully executed piece of work. / ~Sam

jack

Beautiful work. I have a question on the flat you use. What size and what degree do you use? Thanks for showing. Jack

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Great work Greg i love the detail and thanks for the close up!!!
LOL Tim Wells i know what you mean i could talk about Horses all day!

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
Since 1985 I have been working on my own. During this time period I have engraved other silversmiths products and never received the credit. I have fabricated, stamped another's benchmark and then engraved the product; again receiving no credit. About only 20% of the work that came out of my shop actually had my name on the back. Please don't get me wrong, I am not whining. I chose that path because it was safe and the money came in regularly. It also allowed me to spend massive amounts of time to be the dad I wanted to be to my children. Well my son is now a senior in high school and my daughter just made me a grandpa. Last year I chose to no longer do business with my largest wholesale account because they wanted me to sign a contract that was not in the least bit beneficial to me. So I decided to start going public and change the order in which I do business. Anyway, the reason for this blurb is to thank you all for your kindly worded accolades. Plus given the fact that the praise has come from you all here in this forum gives me a sense of validation. Thank you also for giving western bright cut engraving a place on this forum.

Thank you & best regards,
Greg Pauline

R Vaughn

Greg, Do you solder the berry edge even with the buckle or overhang it? Could you show a picture of the back to show how it is done. Also are you engraving the back. I know alot of engravers are nowadays.
Thanks, Robert

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
Robert, I will take a picture tomorrow and post it. I do engrave the back of the buckle upon request but most customers don't care for it as it is rarely seen.

Jack, I use a #46 flat mascot high speed steel graver to do my bright cutting. As far as the degrees, I have no idea. I only have a crocker sharpening fixture and I judge the angle by eye. I then give it a go on scrap metal and if it cuts good, I am good to go. If not, I then fine tune it a little until it does feel good cutting. Sorry I can't give you precise angles, I am a little embarassed living in the dark ages. However here is a picture of my bright cut tool. Hopefully you can judge the angles for your self.

Best regards,
Greg Pauline

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors