Announcement: How to: image transfer laser printer

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good video. Hey you beginners out there. This is one of many methods. Carlos show you step by step how to get a good transfer.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
nice and clear video tutorial, you never tried hair spray to protect the transfered image? It will dry faster

arnaud

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
Nice video.
Hard to beat the Mop and Glo. I have tried lacquer sprays, but don't like like the overspray, hard to tell you have good coverage, and not as durable as the Mop and Glo.

I apply the Mop and Glo with a foam pad like a disposable paint brush. Just a drop or two on the pad for a 2x2 area, then dab it with a dry spot of the foam pad. A light film is very durable. Not really any problem though if the film is thicker. You won't know it is there when cutting. It takes less than 2 minutes to go from picking up the bottle of Mop and Glo to cutting, including hitting it for about 5 seconds with the heat gun.

For cleaning and removing the paint and Mop and Glo I use Denatured Alcohol. Cheaper than Acetone, less smell.

The Mop and Glo won't work with Chinese White or any water based paint. It will dissolve the finish and pencil lines instead of just laying on top.

Works great with with oil based magic marker, which I like much better than chinese white since it sticks better and is more durable, and can use a white eraser to remove pencil lines without cutting thru the paint.

Maybe when burnishing it would help if the metal is laying on a no slip kitchen cloth. I think they are used as shelf liners, etc. And maybe tape the transfer to the work in one spot before burnishing?

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott

Thanks for the idea of the mop and glow if my memory serves me right I think I got the idea from you.

Carlos De La O III

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for taking the time. This is really putting into action what I said earlier about teaching what you know, and learning from those who know more.

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
After watching the video, I had to give it a try.

First, I needed to get a new laser printer to replace my HP 4 Plus. Since I upgraded my iMac OS the HP printer no longer works with the iMac. I did a search, and got the highly rated Brother HL 2260-DW printer.

Tried it a couple of times, and no luck. The image didn’t stick to the parchment paper very well, and it didn’t transfer to the plate coated with varnish. Searched the forum, and learned that Brother laser printers don’t work with this method. So, I decided to try it with the acetone method. It almost worked, i.e., part of the image looked very clear, but some of the paper stuck to the metal. After several attempts, I decided to give up.

I watched the video again, and decided to give it another try. Bingo, it worked perfectly. I don’t know why it didn’t work initially, but works now with the Brother printer. Only issue is that sometimes the tape doesn’t hold the parchment paper. I started using tape at both ends of the paper, and so far it holds the parchment paper.

My thanks, Carlos, for an inspiring video with a clear explanation of the materials and procedure.

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bildio

Try changing the settings from plain paper to cardstock your laser printer should lay down a heavier layer of toner on it thus making it look darker.

Carlos De La O III

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
Bildio
Try changing the settings from plain paper to cardstock your laser printer should lay down a heavier layer of toner on it thus making it look darker.
Carlos De La O III

My printer doesn't have this setting. It's working superbly though. Much better than what I was using before trying this method.

I think I found out why it didn't work initially. I was doing a transfer to a 6" x 3/4" strip of copper for a bracelet. I discovered that the copper had a vinyl cover to protect the finish. So, I was putting the varnish on the vinyl, & trying to transfer to the vinyl. I think this should have worked, but it didn't. I removed the vinyl, applied the varnish, etc., and got a perfect transfer.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Nice video. To save time and avoid spills I use an aerosol spray varnish.

After the image has been transferred, if it is a large piece that will require a lot of handling while engraving it, instead of Mop-n-Glo, I hit the image with a fine mist of artist's Fixative or my wife's hair spray. Both dry almost instantly.

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
Wow
I had seen this post a while ago and had never tried this method before. I had been using Acetone transfer and my results were half a best.
Call it beginners luck. One try and have the best lines I have ever had.
Must be my week to try new things .Tried a tape transfer to steel . From a pencil drawing ,on tracing paper and had good results with it as well .
Thanks
Dale

Sponsors