gravermeister

webad2006

Hello all,

I had a question about a gravermeister for sale on ebay. It says that it's a Series300, Model101c with 1/3HP one phase 115motor. I guess the real question is how many strokes p.m is this machine capable of? It list it as 815pm, but I thought those machines ran @ 1200pm and were upgradable to 2400pm? I'd like to try one of these, but worry 815 strokes pm would not be enough to bright cut with. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Webad:

I also bought one of the older model GM off of eBay a year or so ago. I was able to pick it up as a "buy it now" for $50.00 + $35.00 shipping. Since I didn't know the condition of the unit I ordered what I thought would be the "consumable" parts from GRS (Belt, assorted tubing, filters, etc). I spent abut $150 to refurbish the unit. I don't really have any way to accurately measure the "actual" spm of the unit but I can assure you that it will cut beautifully (even in hard metals) with the proper grind on the graver. I have thought about upgrading mine to the 2400 spm version but I don't know if the improvement in results would be worth the $165.00 I think the upgrade costs. I am basically very happy with my unit. I have 2 handpieces, one for heavy work/outlining and one for detail/shading. To save yourself some $$ make sure that the unit has the foot control and the handpiece. The handpieces are not cheap. I think that the foot control was less than $100.00 so not too bad. I am really a fan of the "hammer and chisel" method and enjoy it the most but I have to admit that I get prettier results using the GM. Hope you get the one you're bidding on. Good-Luck.

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
I upgraded my old 800 - 1200 spm Gravermeister with the 1600 - 2400 spm rotary valve. At 2400 spm I have experinced severe handpiece overheating. In order to use the 915 handpiece for long periods of time I have to run at 1600 spm. The one advantage the high speed valve has it that the shaft turns on bearings rather than in a brass bushing that the old valve has. Wore out the brass bushing in one of the older valves and had to replace the valve.

Roger

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
have used one since the dinosaurs roamed the earth. there was a speed adjusting lever on the end. i never read the numbers, just raised or lowered the lever- but the machine always did what i wanted it to do. i had a heavy duty hand piece and a light duty. betwixt the two you can pretty much have your way with any piece of material. we would, however expect a bit of skill on the part of the engraver. these machines are very well made.:D

Latest posts

Sponsors