Workbench thread

Joe Mason

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Scott, This gives me an ideal to check out. I don't know about going to the Engrave In yet. I am still working out of town doing the construction work. The job I have will be done by April 15. Will need to wait to see where I will be going next. I hope to come home for a while, but most of the work we have is on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I really enjoyed last years meeting and hope to make it there this year.

Joe

Yves Halliburton

Elite Cafe Member
Work Shop

This is my work shop I am getting close to completing. I still have some draw fronts and cabinet sides to complete but it is pretty close. It houses most of everything I do, my reloading, gun work, engraving, photography and general office computing and designing. I use the drill press method to support the vise and took the table top layout from the FEGA issue #70 of Bob Evans bench top. I like this method because I can rest my elbows when doing the very detail work. The area to the left of the engraving is for all my sharpening equipment. I use a standard power hone and a high speed one I made to profile my gravers. I recently purchased the Lindsay Engraver Sharpener system and the small draw beneath the power hone houses the various stones. The light switch on the side cabinet powers up the air compressor which is hidden and has foam sides for reduced noise. It is a super silent model so with the foam it is extreemely quite. The drawers house all my material I use in engraving. The guage panel controls my engraver for both the palmgraver and the foot control as well as the air grinder. The monitor on the wall can be used for TV with DVD player (hidden in the cabinet below the grinding station) and as a computer monitor hooked up to the computer on the other side of the room. This allows me to view pics while engraving on the moniter so I can enlarge or reduce. It is very high resolution (HDTV) so I can get the picture I want. The gun cabinet says it all. All my toys. My Winchesters, lever actions, shotguns and single shots, as well as all my pistols in the drawers and all my tools for the shop. The center door is where the frig is hidden for heavy drinking after a long day in the shop!!!! The island is my general disassembly and work area. All the cabinets are made of plywood with birdseye maple veneer with birdseye hardwood. The engraving area is white so it keeps me disaplined to keep it clean. I am pretty happy with this setup and it is very secure with alarm, triple dead bolt and wire security mesh behide all the drywall the prevent entry. It is very secure and would take some work to get into it.

Attachments

• Computer.jpg
    Computer.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 2,000
  • Entry.jpg
    Entry.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 1,984
  • Gun Cabinet.jpg
    Gun Cabinet.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 1,944
  • Engraving.jpg
    Engraving.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 2,045
  • shopb.jpg
    shopb.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 1,972
  • shopa.jpg
    shopa.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 1,940
Last edited:

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yves,

Absolutely beautiful, what a place to work! Mine has never been that pretty (& probably never will be either!).

Weldon

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
Monk,
had a '86' Winchester that I couldn't get the barrel out of and that's what got things started. Went to my "good for something someday" inventory and this is what came out of it. The support (a old peice of medical equipment) is telescopic and I adjust the height with a small hydraulic jack. Liked the setup so well I kept it. Total investment $20.00
Roger

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yves,
That's just NOT right to have a place like that to work!
:)
Looks like you've been collecting a lot of maple for this project!
Sweet....

Yves Halliburton

Elite Cafe Member
scrap

Rex, I know. My day job allows me to aquire this nice wood, and this is the reject stuff. Hard to believe, but it is taken out of the waste bin. Tim hasn't showed up to pick it up so I used it. Sorry bud, HA!!!

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dang Yves..If I show this too my wife she will never let me get any rest. She keeps telling me to clean the shop up and I say."this is a working shop, not a better homes and gardens photo opp"
So do you actually work there Yves????????

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yves,
Two questions...
#1. I thought you had something to do with airplanes. Where does the wood come in? If that is the junk, the other stuff must be fantastic!
#2. Are you left handed? I was looking at your set up and assumed that?

Yves Halliburton

Elite Cafe Member
Yep, south paw. I do work with aircraft. I am an IE/ME (Industrial/Manufacturer Engineer) We build the TOP OF THE LINE corporate jet for the people that have more money than they know what to do with. I support 200 mechanics in the cabinet shop. All of the furniture is made of aluminum or fiberglass honeycomb material. It is covered with these high grade veneers and trimmed in hardwood. Some of the material is scraped because it doesn't match, color, grain or has to much sapwood. So off to the dumpster. Most of it is small pieces but sometimes I get lucky.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK, that explains it. It looks like the wood in my jet now I think about it! (or at least the jet in my dreams)
I didn't think they were back to building the Spruce Goose......

My (beginner) Bench

Hi all,

for those with the hawk eye... can you spot in pic 1 : Mr. Alfano en Mr. Griffiths ? *grin*

@ Yves Halliburton, notice the same blue machine in pic 3 :D

Attachments

• Tim_setup.jpg
    Tim_setup.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,909
  • Kruitkot_01.jpg
    Kruitkot_01.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 1,836
  • Kruitkot_02.jpg
    Kruitkot_02.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 1,825

noud peters

Hallo Tim,
Your working area looks perfectly well, nice pics on the wall.:)
How is your progress of engraving?

greeting Noud Peters Holland

NevadaBlue

I'm living in a 26 foot camper in the mountains in central Nicaragua on a construction job. I built this little bench in the only space available. It works fine. I studied all the pictures here and where I could find them before I built the bench. Thanks for the ideas. :)

how do you do the 'attached thumbnails' ? Is that the 'insert link' option?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
NevadaBlue..Of all the work benches yours caught my attention. It brings back a lot of old memories of starting out in a cramped space in our apartment. I had a machinist vise mounted to a bowling ball..3 die sinker chisels, 1 chasing hammer, James Meek's book The Art of Engraving, and a dream. Keep at it, and it all will fall together for you.

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
I noticed that only a few of you have a cutout in your bench for your engraving vise. Where are you resting your forearms, or are you? Thanks, everybody, for posting your pictures. I am going to have to redo my setup soon; I currently have 3 different shops and am doing my engraving in a corner of my stained glass/reloading room.