Workbench thread

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rex,

Might have to try that after I get my scope in June.

Let's see, lexan clipboard and a couple of clamps. Wonder if I can scrounge up some of the clamps used to mount lights / fans on the edges of tables... Probably need a way to adjust the angle of the clipboard relative to the stand but that shouldn't be too hard to rig.

Or maybe GRS will notice this thread and add to their accessory line.

Bill Brockway

My Workbench

Here's a couple of shots of my bench. As somebody else has stated, it's a work in progress. The next thing to correct - the microscope stand, which is too shaky. One inch pipe just won't do it, although I do have it braced to the floor and wall. A poured concrete base would probably work best for the scope.

Bill

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Rex,
Thanks for posting the pictures of your picture holder. It is a very nice design
and I think that I may try to do something like it. I assume that you used the
existing holes in the Acrobat Stand. Also, did you fabricate the other parts in your
shop or do you have a source for the parts?

Thanks again,
Les Schowe

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Les,
I fabricated the parts here. The main brackets are 1" X .25" X 3" aluminum. I milled and slotted them. It might be a little overkill but I felt like playing with my mill. Having the 2 swivels seems to be enough for most work. I made the L brackets from 1" aluminum angle. The round stock is aluminum as well and I think it is 3/4" just because it was what I had. I utilized the top hole from the stand and just got a longer carriage bolt. I bought the quick adjusting nuts from a machine tool supply.
It could be made with just a couple of aluminum brackets just drilled, not slotted and a couple of wing nuts also. You can buy aluminum stock from your Home Depot or hardware stores easily.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is 'small and cluttered'

I converted what used to be my storage/hobby room into my engraving room. :eek:

Attachments

• P1000689.jpg
    P1000689.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 2,280
This is where I spend my days. I work across from my husband, it puts a whole new slant on sexual harrassment
Gail
hand engraver for Williams flutes,
Boston

Attachments

• one-mo-bench.jpg
    one-mo-bench.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 2,252
  • two-mo-time.jpg
    two-mo-time.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 2,197

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You mean you have to lean over to harass each other?

Nice looking bench. There are just so many 'happy spots' in this thread!

Just abouit every one says "I may not always like what I'm doing but I'm doing what I like!"

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bench Photos

Just redid the area still messy;)

Attachments

• P3050009.jpg
    P3050009.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 2,206
  • workshop 2.jpg
    workshop 2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 2,095

JTC

Workbenches

Here's two views of my workshop and cluttered benches. Like everything else, my bench is always a "work in progress". As I find a better way to do something my workbench is modified. If you look carefully you can see $10.00 bill on the wall from my first paying job (a concho for a belt knife case).
You can not see the refrigerator (for soothing replacement fluids after a hard day) in these photo's as it is just out of the frame.
The shop is comfortable and well lighted which is a key to good work.
I'm already thinking of a few modifications after seeing all the benchs listed here.

J. T.

Attachments

• Engraving bench.jpg
    Engraving bench.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 2,197
  • Engraving bench 2.jpg
    Engraving bench 2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 2,148

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
HEY.my workbench is in Durango and it doesn't look anything like that. I might be living on the wrong side of town

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
James O

I love your dental set up. Are replacement bulbs hard to find for that light?

Great set up. You're giving me ideas.

Ray

JamesO

I haven't had to replace the bulbs yet. I was told they last for a very long time.
I also have several low and high speed dental drills ( various angles 90s, 45s, 22s) that I use for carving and removing background- it's almost like I'm at the dentist - makes me want to PASS OUT- I hate the DENTIST!!!
If interested in the base, find one that is hydraulic or something other then the screw type. There are 40+ tiny ball bearings that ride in fixture up and down the "thread rod" , well a tube came loose once and they all escaped. Some went missing and I had a hard time finding them locally. The chairs made after 1985 are of better design.
Thanks

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
Shop

My shop doesn't look like you guysus'. Works for me.

Roger

Attachments

• Shop800.jpg
    Shop800.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 2,040
  • shop801.jpg
    shop801.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,894

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
James O, Ray C,
Since my wife was a dental assistant, I used to get a lot of dental cast offs, including one of these light systems. I loved it, it put a good solid beam of light right where I wanted it, and was way out of my way. I even had it mounted to the wall the same way, with iron plumbing pipe LOL, must be the redneck showing.

I only got rid of it when I moved my engraving setup into my motorhome and bought my first fiberoptic system so I would have lightwieght portable system for the motorhome. I gave it to a silversmith friend of mine who had been lusting after it ever since I got it installed initially

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joe,
I did a google search and this came up which is fairly typical
http://www.microscopeworld.com/MSWo...tegoryID=144&gclid=CLGuwav--ZECFQEelgodvUonwg

this shows the basic options, you got single wand, dual wand, ring lights. I prefer the wands, and the longer the wand better in my opinion.

New systems are pretty much in the price range of these. I have bought some on ebay, like anything used, its Caveat Emptor, but overall its been Ok. Light bulbs when they need replaced, several years though, are in the 30- 40 price range

You coming to the Engrave-In this year?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Rex,

Might have to try that after I get my scope in June.

Let's see, lexan clipboard and a couple of clamps. Wonder if I can scrounge up some of the clamps used to mount lights / fans on the edges of tables... Probably need a way to adjust the angle of the clipboard relative to the stand but that shouldn't be too hard to rig.

Or maybe GRS will notice this thread and add to their accessory line.
if there's not a lot of weight involved-- the little ball/socket clamp thingy on the aluminum reflector lights can serve in a pinch. the clamp is already on the ball/socket part-- just adapt a lightweight piece of lexan to hold the paper.