Foot pedal or hand actuated?

Foot pedal or hand actuated....which one are you? Or both?

• I've made the switch and use a hand actuated handpiece for nearly all (but not necessarily 100%) of

Votes: 41 28.5%
  • I have both, but still use the foot pedal for a large portion of my work.

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • I still do everything with the foot pedal.

Votes: 89 61.8%

• Total voters

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
If you're a power user, have you made the switch to a hand actuated handpiece?

Tom White

Sam,

I made the switch to the Lindsay PalmControl some time back and have never looked back. I would say it is one of the best investments in my tool collection.

Tom White

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
In process of going to the "Airtac" unit, have it ordered, should be here this week. Will let everyone know what I think of it soon.

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Lindsay PC is a big investment, but if you consider the overall cost of setting up GRS equiptment, it is also a big investment...
To have both setups has been a blessing...
The PC with the tungston piston is one bad machine, it should have a name...
If not for GRS and their school and equiptment I probility would have never gone this far into engraving...
GRS make great equiptment and the engraving community owes them many thanks...
I use the Gravemax for stippling and very little else...
JL Seymour

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
After 30 years using a gravermeister I knew it was time for a change. Tested everything and got a Lindsay Palm Control. Because I had always used burins for fine detail I was very comfortable with the palm actuation. I still have my "meister" but hardly use it anymore. I still use push gravers for some effects though.

RB

alfrisillo

Palm or foot control

I find that foot activation is much easier to control when doing "heavy duty" engraving like Flare Cut that I learned from Diane Scalese or Eastern Bright Cut I learned from Mike Dubber.

Before retiring, I treated myself to a Lindsey PC but before doing that, since I had a Gravermach,I bought Airtac to see if I liked palm control. I liked it very much but had a hard time picking up the handpiece consistently in the same place after setting it down. that gave me erradic "starts" when I activated the handpiece. So I bought a Lindsey after trying one at Ray Covers studio. I still use the Lindsey for engraving other than the "heavy duty" stuff I mentioned above.

That said, at the last Wannamaker Gun Show in Tulsa, Marty Rabeno was there demonstrating GRS equipment. When I tried the handpiece he was using, I did not experience the same problem I had previously.
Marty said I had not tuned my handpiece properly....he was right.

Just thought I would pass on the last info since those who are either using or getting an Airtac, you must properly tune the handpiece to obtain optimal performance. Check with GRS about how to do that.

Scratchmo

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I never could get used to engraving with my feet. I used push gravers for most of my life and finally got a Lindsay almost a year ago. Pricey? Yes! And worth every penny IMO.

Idanojoe

I'm new to engraving and finally made the jump to GRS Gravermach AT with the appropriate 901 handpiece. They should be arriving in a week. Thanks to Sam for helping me make my mind up. I've been a jeweler for only 15yrs and just needed to expand my shop, besides I love good tools. Looking forward to learning from all you folks.

percman48

Hard to say that I have made a switch. I recently upgraded from all hammer and chisel work, over to a Graver Mach. I bought an AT901 with palm control at the same time but I am disappointed with it. I have the foot actuated pedal also. I have a long way to go on my learning curve though. Guess you would call me a novice. The upgrade from hammer and chisel was recommended to me by a master engraver from Baker City, Oregon. I was torn between the GRS equipment and the Lindsay.

Sponsors