View Poll Results: Foot pedal or hand actuated....which one are you? Or both?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've made the switch and use a hand actuated handpiece for nearly all (but not necessarily 100%) of my work.

37 31.62%
  • I have both, but still use the foot pedal for a large portion of my work.

11 9.40%
  • I still do everything with the foot pedal.

69 58.97%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

After 30 years using a gravermeister I knew it was time for a change. Tested everything and got a Lindsay Palm Control. Because I had always used burins for fine detail I was very comfortable with the palm actuation. I still have my "meister" but hardly use it anymore. I still use push gravers for some effects though.

RB
    C. Roger Bleile
    Author of American Engravers and American Engravers-The 21st Century
    http://www.engravingglossary.com/
    FEGA Historian
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind. Johannes Brahms

Post Thanks / Like

Default Palm or foot control

I find that foot activation is much easier to control when doing "heavy duty" engraving like Flare Cut that I learned from Diane Scalese or Eastern Bright Cut I learned from Mike Dubber.

Before retiring, I treated myself to a Lindsey PC but before doing that, since I had a Gravermach,I bought Airtac to see if I liked palm control. I liked it very much but had a hard time picking up the handpiece consistently in the same place after setting it down. that gave me erradic "starts" when I activated the handpiece. So I bought a Lindsey after trying one at Ray Covers studio. I still use the Lindsey for engraving other than the "heavy duty" stuff I mentioned above.

That said, at the last Wannamaker Gun Show in Tulsa, Marty Rabeno was there demonstrating GRS equipment. When I tried the handpiece he was using, I did not experience the same problem I had previously.
    Marty said I had not tuned my handpiece properly....he was right.

Just thought I would pass on the last info since those who are either using or getting an Airtac, you must properly tune the handpiece to obtain optimal performance. Check with GRS about how to do that.

Post Thanks / Like

I never could get used to engraving with my feet. I used push gravers for most of my life and finally got a Lindsay almost a year ago. Pricey? Yes! And worth every penny IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm new to engraving and finally made the jump to GRS Gravermach AT with the appropriate 901 handpiece. They should be arriving in a week. Thanks to Sam for helping me make my mind up. I've been a jeweler for only 15yrs and just needed to expand my shop, besides I love good tools. Looking forward to learning from all you folks.