New iGraver tutorial online - Gold Overlays

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hot off the bench is a tutorial on making raised gold overlays. If you haven't tried this, you're really missing out. Check it out at iGraver.com

msar24

Sam,

Love the tip and tricks. Especially the one from Rex :D (had to put in a plug for my instructor). As a newbie, can I use copper sheet for practice rather than purchasing the expensive gold sheet? I use annealed copper wire for practice for gold inlay borders.

Thanks

Sam

Staff member
Hi Kevin. I don't think I'd do this with copper. Maybe someone who has done so can comment, but I think you need the super malleabilty of pure gold for a stong overlay. If you get good results with copper lets us know. / ~Sam

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice tutorial. I can't wait to try it. I would raise teeth one at a time this looks so much faster and more controllable.
Thanks Sam
Mike

Sam

Staff member
can I use a piece of silver sheet to overlay on steel?

Fine silver might be ok, but pure gold is much more cooperative. Personally, I would stick with fine gold to better my chances for successful results. / ~Sam

SharpGraver

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the great tutorial. is it difficult to separate the gold fron the steel after you have removed the backgroung areas?
David

Sponsors