Bagpipe Silver

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Almost exclusively interested in the Highland Pipes. In searching, I have seen that fittings are made in Sterling and Nickel (among other items). Is there a source to purchase a set of the Nickel, pre-made but engravable. The price of an unadorned set in Silver is awfully high, at least the source I found.
I do understand that making the pieces is the most cost effective when making Silver fittings, but a set of Nickel, hand engraved and Rhodium plated would provide a less expensive visual to procure custom orders etc.
Thanks for any and all info.

Will

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for your comments and advice, all are appreciated and welcome.

Fred, Dave has been a great teacher and become a good friend in the process, we (Aussies) even taught him a thing or two. He is a fan of Bundaberg Rum now, aren't you Professor Bundy?

Jeremiah Watt (Spadebit) is another that has graced our shores and my workshop to spread the word and share his skills. We are very fortunate to have quality teachers come down so far and help us out.

Will, cutting the Sterling is tough enough for me, Nickle would send me off the deep end with all the curved surfaces and the price of some of the pipe sets I work on is perfectly complemented by Sterling.

Thank you all, I appreciate all of your comments and advice. Ty.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Will,

Get the dimensions and smith up a set out of nickel yourself if you wish... not difficult fabrication.

But I think you'll find that for the time invested and the PITA engraving 'em, you may wish you'd used the sterling.

Maybe you could someday sell off the nickel samples, but it's far more likely the sterling would sell first.

Brian

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
The set I found online was hallmarked in Edinburgh and cost over 1000 british pounds. The value added tax would be backed out, but $1500US is still a lot. I have never had a problem cutting nickel. I would prefer to buy something made, if there is a wholesale supplier, rather than making my own. I don't know the dimensions, or even what I would need to make. When I go to the highland games, I am pretty much tied to my booth with all my jewelry. If I had a display sample set, even in nickel, it would improve my chances of selling something.
Is there a wholesale supplier for the pieces?

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I don't imagine a set of bagpipe silver is the kind of product that would have a "wholesale" price...

Not something you'd get Stuller or Italian chain manufacturers interested in. Not enough quantity, not enough profit to be made.

You can see why, if you have the skills to fabricate a set yourself...

Brian

texasbagpiper

Their are lots of guys who make ferrules for bagpipe-makers but most of them also engrave or cast the ferrules but blank ferrules can be bought and after engraving them you can jack the price up considerably.

Here are some of the best in the U.S. You can also purchase cheap but really nice cast nickel ferrules from India but I'm not sure if cast nickel alloy can be engraved as I'm new to engraving.

MacLellan

http://highland-pipemaker.com/MacLellan Ferrules.htm

David Marshal's work

http://www.cuillinn.com/pipesilver.html

Sponsors