Bagpipe Silver

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
My latest work, silver set for custom made bagpipes. This is the first job for the customer, his design. I hope to do more and get some artistic licence with future jobs, some bright cut scrolls would really flash them up.

Attachments

• IMG_20130912_193444.jpg
    IMG_20130912_193444.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_20130912_205806.jpg
    IMG_20130912_205806.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_20130912_193356.jpg
    IMG_20130912_193356.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 415

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice job! I am interested in doing some pipe silver as well and have talked to a few pipers at the Seattle Highland Games, but most of the ones there already have their pipes etc. One question no one could/would answer is..."Are the pieces made to a standard size, or are they made for each individual set of pipes?"

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
TyG,

Mighty nice!

The great pipes certainly have a lot of acreage to cover, and you have done very well. Might I ask what do you charge for such a commission, and /or what is your estimated time?

You might like this simple yet effecting revolving holder, that you are welcome to make for yourself, it allows you to revolve as you ct, hence always having the tool at the top of the hill, so not so much time wondering how your contact angle is doing. I have posted it before, but once more... see photo.

Another thought, once you have some artistic license in future commissions, is to gild your background while the top surface and main pattern stays silver, the gold/silver thing is in the celtic tradition from way back. Basically, once your engraving is finished, you electroplate the whole surface with 24 k gold, then spin the rings in your lathe and take off the surface gold in a few moments using 2000 grit sand paper. The design really pops with good contrast ...?

best

Rod

Attachments

• IMG_2688.jpg
    IMG_2688.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 339

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Rod and a everyone for your kind comments. I charge $60 and hour for engraving and $45 an hour for design work, the silver set was supplied.

I have 18 hours of engraving in this silver set.

I turned up some Beef Wood to make holders that were slightly undersized. Pigskin then is used to hold each piece snug enough to be able to turn it as I engrave. The steel contraption hold the long ferrules, pigskin to fill inside and the nuts are tightened on the protruding pigskin to put enough pressure to allow turning as they are engraved. A bit rough and ready but worked for this aussie cowboy. IMG_20130916_072024.jpg IMG_20130916_072123.jpg IMG_20130916_072217.jpg IMG_20130916_072152.jpg IMG_20130916_071956.jpg

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks TyG,

It makes it more fun when we get to see your rig and approach, clearly your system works, as we see good precision in your cutting, excellent!

Speaking of bagpipes, I am off back to Scotland tomorrow for three weeks, to see my siblings, and do stuff at my Scottish workshop, which is side by side with Hamish and Fin Moore, pipe makers. Will have two baroque flutes in my pocket, which I made for Cremona, Italy. I will do a little research at Oxford, while we chill for a bit to handle jet lag. Our colleague, Marcus Hunt, is about 20 miles from Oxford, and I have an invite to visit him and we will pick a few tunes together, if I can get myself over to Chipping Norton, we will see. It would be nice to see Marcus once more.

Keep cutting!

Rod

Last edited:

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
Hahaha! Thanks Richard, may not be pretty but they stuck together. Come up and visit sometime.

Rod, the pipes I worked on are made by Martin Macbeth, a Scottsman living in Brisbane. He sends his pipes all over the world.

I am not musical but you are also welcome to come down for a visit and enjoy some fishing. Ty.

texasbagpiper

Very nice job! I am interested in doing some pipe silver as well and have talked to a few pipers at the Seattle Highland Games, but most of the ones there already have their pipes etc. One question no one could/would answer is..."Are the pieces made to a standard size, or are they made for each individual set of pipes?"

Most pieces on Scottish Highland bagpipes are the same size and many makers have their mounts made by the same companies and they build their pipes around the already made metal ferrules and ring caps. You start getting into all sorts of different sizes when you get into the other 175 different type's of bagpipes made all over the world but the main alternatives are Scottish Smallpipes, Scottish Borderpipes, Irish 'Uilleann' pipes, Swedish 'Sackpipa', French 'Bechonett', Northumbrian Smallpipes, and the Czech Duda. Each uses different size ferrules and caps for the most part. The only real standard is the Scottish Highland Bagpipe as seen in the topic of this post. Cheers, Seth Hamon Bagpipe-Maker Hamon Bagpipe Co.

Jeroen

Yes that's part of engraving: to find a way to hold the piece. One has to be creative sometimes! I love it! Thank you for the "inspiration"!

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
175 different type's of bagpipes made all over the world but the main alternatives are Scottish Smallpipes, Scottish Borderpipes, Irish 'Uilleann' pipes, Swedish 'Sackpipa', French 'Bechonett', Northumbrian Smallpipes, and the Czech Duda.

the important question is: do ANY of them sound like someone isn't torturing a cat? :shock:

(just kidding, of course. i actually enjoy hearing the occasional skirl o' the pipes. there's a bit of Scot on my mother's side of the family.)

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Even with the furnished knot work the craftsmanship is yours and yours alone. your design in hold fixtures is imaginative and very easy to duplicate or modify. Your cutting is excellent with sparkle of fine silver table ware. Great Job! Silverchip Dave's road trips have been of value to a number of you folks.

Take a look at the GRS ring holding fixtures and their parts and also basic plumbing pipe plugs for inspiration in creating holding fixtures. I have even used rubber balls with a bolt through them to cause expansion. Thanks for sharing your work with use, Fred

Latest posts

Sponsors