Dallas/Ft Worth Engravers

txtwang

Elite Cafe Member
As a new wanna be engraver, I'm looking for someone in the Dallas/Ft Worth area that could take a few hours and show me the way. I live in the Seagoville area(far SE Dallas county).
I've my own Gravermach, 901 handpiece, standard block and extra gravers but no idea how to use them. The gravers are fresh from GRS and as I've read in the forums, they need to be sharpened before use. I do not have a sharpener yet.
I am going to Odessa in Sept to a week long school put on by Herman Wells to learn custom bit and spur making. Herman has volenteered to teach me as much as I can absorb but I can't wait. I would like to get at least a working knowledge of this. As a self taught guitar player and picked up every bad habit associated with that. I had rather not go this route with engraving.
I am open to most any time slot you can provide. So if anyone has the time and and doesn't mind a thousand questions..I'm dressed and ready. Call or email..I'm there

Thanks In Advance
Jerry Gant
469-371-9890

TEXICAN

Hey are you still in the Dallas area? I realize you posted this in 2007 but I'm looking to learn and could use some help. I have no tools yet but I'm searching the fourums. I work for a local law enforcement agency here in Dallas, and would like to learn how to engrave my handcuffs and some firearms eventualy.

Thanks
Todd

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fellows,

Engraving is not something you will be able to do in a week. All you can do is get the basics ( take a class) then you will not believe the amount of practice you will need to do to get control of the tools.

I answer an awful lot of questions on the phone, and that is really the way to "help" someone learn. they have a specific problem, you help them with it and they go on. The secret is in the commitment that you make to it.

Other than a class to get you started, this forum is the premier platform for any help you need. A class and close contact with your teacher for begining is very good, as it also helps to have someone whom you can watch, and that is the reason for taking a class. There are also a myriad of excellent videos and plastic copies for your benifit and visual aid. Once you get your tools sharpened correctly (most important), you then have to go at it, and practice practice practice. Tool control only comes with experience.

If I can see that you are serious about learning, I would be willing to answer your questions and possibly help you after you have a class or two behind you, as i had many so-called students over the years, that after trying it, decided it was too hard, which just wasted their's and my time. I didn't charge them anything either, so it was money out of my pocket. Be careful how you approach your potential teachers. That is also why it is good to go ahead and pay for a class to get started and then ask questions.

Hand crafted items is a hard way to make a living, or was in my day. It is much better in these times, but my point is the man's (teacher's) hands have to be busy or he is not making his livleyhood. It is a differnet ball game of the man is doing it as an occupation, other than a hobby.

Just some points on learning. Once you are an established engraver, you will see what I mean when many along the way ask you to teach them. It is a big job when you have forty people calling on a regular basis.

Now, how might I help? I live in Ft. Worth.

Ron S

Last edited:

TEXICAN

Wow now thats timing just got off the phone with Lee buying his gravermax and he suggested I find you on the forum. Didnt have to look far!!! I sent you a PM Ron.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Better rub that Gravermax a lot to get some of "Lee" to rub off on you! I bet that machine has cut some really nice work in it's past!

Latest posts

Sponsors