Who's Who of Engravers Directory , need your help

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Scott..As far as contributors you might consider the late Bob Brownell of Brownell's Gunsmithing Supply who talked James Meek into writing The Art of Engraving. Bob also published the book...just a thought.
Keep up the good work.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
@ Sam, thank you! I will buy you a pint next time we meet!

Please add Mr. Johann Singer! I have been lucky enough to be his student for two years and later worked in his studio for four more years. See pictures of one engraving as a proof of his very high level of artistic skill.

Attachments

• St_George.jpg
    St_George.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 212
  • St_Hubert.jpg
    St_Hubert.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 189
  • Singer engraved over and under_ bottom.jpg
    Singer engraved over and under_ bottom.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 218

jmcutting

I would say you would want to include Greg Darnall. He is a bit and spur maker and has provided me much insight with engraving. He is a TCAA Member and does some amazing work.

-justin

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
@ Sam, thank you! I will buy you a pint next time we meet!

Please add Mr. Johann Singer! I have been lucky enough to be his student for two years and later worked in his studio for four more years. See pictures of one engraving as a proof of his very high level of artistic skill.

Martin, those are beautiful photos, and would make a nice addition to the Gallery! / ~Sam

kguns

Scott,

I didn't see some of these names.

Ken Hunt
Jeffrie Gourney - misspelled
Rock Capeac - Belgium
Rene Cousine - Belgium
Thiery Duguet - Terry is the english translation I think, on the list but first name mispelled.
Brunno Barra - Belgium - I think he has quit engraving.
FN Engraving Section closed for years, but they had 160 engravers in 1978 that created all of Browning & FN's wounderful engravings.
Rich Hambrook - Arnold MO - current Browning engraver
Gooser - Germany - Keighoff engraver
Walter Koulach, The only true Mercenairy Engraver I ever meet. Keighoff Crown grade for 1000 bucks or one for 10,000 Same pattern different quality, an unusual attitude. Retired or passed away I don't know.
There are more to come.
I may have listed a few already on the list

Have fun at C.P.
Kurt Horvath

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Maybe I missed it some where, but I didn't see Kenny Hunts name.

Oh yes,........... and is the first Tom Turpin listed the one I know, or is it the second Tom Turpin listed? Heeheehee

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Kurt H. you're right on and thanks for remembering Walter Koulauch.
A wonderful, warm hearted guy and a real "show me the money" engraver.
Would give you the shirt off his back.
Could produce great artwork when the price was right and also fine production work if that was what was called for.
H&C and fast as lightning, nearly as fast as Angelo Bee but not quite.

Loved your gold BG inlaid floor and heel plates, fantastic work, thanks for sharing.

Best, John B.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron, thanks for reopening this thread. It was started just before I started my membership here.

Walter Kolouch (correct spelling) is still in the trade. Aside from engraving he is a skilled gunsmith, finisher, and stock maker. He started his career in Austria and worked in Germany, Sweden and Switzerland before immigrating to the USA.

Scott, here are some additions to the list along with my justifications for their inclusion:

Georges Henri Prud'homme; 1873-1947 (unrelated to E.C. Jack Prudhomme) A French engraver and medallist of great note in Europe.
Carl B. Bleile ;(my brother and mentor) an engraver for over 35 years whose work has been featured in numerous books and magazine articles since the 1970's.
Robert Runge; One of the primary engravers for Parker and Remington. After retirement, continued engraving Parker restorations and upgrades.
Enoch Tue; Chief engraver for Savage Arms in the early 20th century.
Joseph Loy; Chief engraver for Remington arms in the late 19th and early 20th century. Most of his work is on high grade side by sides. Argueably the best American factory engraver of his time.
Albert Krause; Chief engraver for L.C. Smith during the life of the company. Did all of the high grade work and trained and supervised a staff of pattern engravers.
Albin Obiltschnig; (correct spelling) 1894-1975 was one of the most respected Ferlach, Austrian gun engravers of his time and father of engraver Hans Obiltschnig. Innovator of relief scene work incorporating Diana, goddess of the hunt which is sometimes referred to in Ferlach as an "Obiltschnig motif."
Friedrich Goldschmidt; 1943- Austrian gun engraver and author of Kunstlerische Waffen Graveren Ferlacher Meister (Artistic Gun Engraving of Ferlach Masters). Goldschmidt's book is the best reference on Ferlach engravers however it does not feature engravers from other parts of Austria (unfortunately no Martin Strolz coverage:( ).
Jeff Flannery; An extremely prolific engraver especially of handguns. Flannery has engraved hundreds of revolvers over his nearly 30-year career. I refer to him as the Cole Agee of contemporary engravers, not in style but in volume of work.
Bill Johns; Learned engraving over 50 years ago and a full time engraver since 1976. Johns is another prolific gun engraver who specializes in six-shooters for the cowboy action shooters.
Joe Rundell; Current FEGA Vice President and a highly skilled gun engraver of over 30 years experience.
Robert D. Swartley; A top engraver of over 50 years experience. A protégé of the late Josef Fugger while working at Griffin & Howe (1962-1964). Also engraves fine art prints.
Benvenuto Cellini; 1500-1571, One of the enigmatic, larger-than-life figures of the Italian Renaissance: a celebrated sculptor, goldsmith, engraver, author and soldier.
Samuel J. Hoggson; Mainly known for his engraving on early Henry rifles. Though his work is not on the level of Nimschke's it is prized by collectors for his unique position in the history of Winchester arms.
Ulrich (John & Leslie); Factory engravers for Winchester in the late 19th century. The Ulrichs are responsible for most of the famous engraved Winchesters of the era. The special Winchester catalog entitled "Highly Finished Arms" featured the work of the Ulrichs.
C.E. (Charlie) Barber; Chief engraver of the U.S. Mint 1879-1916. Designed most of the famous US coins sought after by collectors today.
Hyppolite Corombelle; 1871-1943, Top Belgian engraver of his time who innovated the style of engraving incorporating fine English scroll, flowers, ribbons and festoons. Later moved to Bologna, Italy where he founded an engraving school. Father of engraver Lyson Corombelle (1894-1971).
Euaenetos; One of the earliest engravers known by name. Engraved and signed dies for ancient Greek coins in the BC era.
Harry Tomlinson; Head engraver for W.W. Greener in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Famous for engraving the original St. George and St. Louis guns.
Gerd Rausch; One of the top contemporary German engravers. A protégé of the late Erich Boessler. Rausch's work is often seen on ornately engraved Kreighoff's and other high end European arms.
Careaga family; Spanish (Basque) engravers of the famous gun making town of Eibar. Cayetano, 1877-1966, Mateo, 1901-1981, and Jose, 1930-.
Francesco Medici 1924-?, Italian engraver who may be considered the father of modern Italian high art gun engraving. Mentor to such notables as Angelo Galeazzi and Firmo Fracassi.
Angelo Galeazzi; One of the earliest practitioners of the Italian high art gun engraving movement.
Cesare Giovanelli; Master of the famous Bottega Giovanelli engraving school and studio in Gardone V.T., Italy.
Manrico TorcoliItalian Gardone engraver who originated the much imitated "fantasy" style of gun engraving whereby a collage of animal and female human figures are artistically superimposed and intertwined with scrollwork.
Mario Abbiatico; 1934-? Mr. Abbiatico can be credited with the exposition, recognition, and expansion of Italian fine art gun engraving through his series of beautifully illustrated books on the subject. He was also a partner in the gun making firm of Abbiatico & Salvinelli (FAMARS).
Marco Nobili; Italian author of a series of books on fine guns and gun engraving which further served to increase demand for finely engraved arms.
Douglas Tate; British author and graphic artist who has written innumerable articles for fine gun publications featuring engraved guns and most especially the book "British Gun Engraving."
Christopher Austyn; British author and head of the sporting guns department at Christie's auction house. Austyn is the author of "Gun Engraving" which is primarily focused on British shotguns and double rifles. A significant part of the book deals with correspondence between engraver Jack Sumner and various gunmakers which is very telling about the trade in Sumner's time.

I'm sure I've missed some other important people in the history of the trade but the above along with the list already compiled is a pretty good start. There are many more names in my archives but many do not meet the criteria Scott set forth earlier. I'll probably think of someone else for the list as soon as I hit the submit button. There is another group of names that belong on this list and those are the patrons of the engravers art without who there would be no market for our work. Now, that list of patrons could be monumental but I am speaking of those who have made a passion for collecting the engraver's art on the highest levels. I can think of some but I won't start that list yet.

Roger Bleile

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Giulio Timpini, Master Engraver of Beretta; my teacher at Cesare Giovanelli's Bottega Incisioni, mentor to most every engraver in Gardone Italy.
Renato Sanzogni, Giovanelli's head engraver and the roll die cutter for several Winchester, and Browning collector editions: The John Wayne series.
Robert Runge, Parker Gun Co, and every other worth while U.S. gun company.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Hi Roger,

Your brother Carl is an incredible artist. Natural talent from pencil & paper to metal (and skin). Looking forward to my next tattoo.

There are also some bank note engravers that can be added to the list. I've been trying to research 19th century bank note engraving. There are a lot that have simply become footnotes in history but Ormsby and Smillie have certainly withstood time.

With every new generation of engravers, there are some from the last that fail to be remembered.

Chris

----

John B. .... I believe you misinterpreted my expression "show me the money" when I used it in David Clevinger's thread "Do I include a letter". I am sorry that you did. I was referring to the daily experiences we have, as customers, with businesses. Customer turnout takes precedence over customer service more often than not.

Last edited:

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
I would like to include Stephen Cox (sdcoxx) as one of the great coin cutters. He is also very helpful and give out his knowledge very freely
Dave

James_Ehlers

Hola...it's been awhile since I've been on here. Here's a list of engraver/printmkers that I can think of off the top of my head...

Hienrich Goltzius
Marcantonio Raimondi
Lucas Van Leyden

The Little Masters - Hienrich Aldegrever, Hans Sebald Beham, Barthel Beham, Georg Pencz

20 c. Engravers/Printmakers

Joseph Hecht
Stanley William Hayter
Mauricio Lasansky
David Driesbach
Rudy Pozzatti
Phillpe Mohlitz
Oscar Jay Gillespie
Koichi Yamamotto

Wood engravers

Thomas Bewick
Misch Kohn

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Searching around I discovered yet another engraving Prud'homme, John Francis Eugene Prudhomme (1800-1892) who signed as JFE Prud'homme. He was a highly regarded American protrait and map engraver in the 19th century. I came across a brief statement made by him in a letter which indicates that things haven't changed much for engravers today. ...there is a single item (27 May 1890) from John Francis Prud'homme in which he seeks advice about setting a price for his "Judgment," admitting that: "Engravers and all Artists in general are defective [in] the trade aspect of disposing of their work."

RB

Latest posts

Sponsors