Photos of Cafe members

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

horologist

By day I am a stress engineer at an aircraft manufacturing center. Not many photos of this to share but I will post the one I have when I find it.

To help put myself through school I restored antique clocks and will continue to do this as long as I am able. Most of the clocks I work on a little smaller than this one.

gainesville tower clock r.jpg

My start in engraving was at Connor Prairie a little over a year ago.

Connor Prairie IMG_2143 r.jpg

It has been a busy year and I haven't had much time for practice in engraving or drawing. I am in the process of building a new shop which will have engraving bench.
My interest in building flintlock rifles and clocks (perhaps a pocket watch) led me to the class at Connor Prairie. Historically the quality of much of this engraving is fairly crude and well within my reach. However, a year on this list has me striving for more, and I know.... draw, draw, draw, practice, practice, practice.

Troy

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
sam_selfie_11-2016-2.jpg

Laid the camera and 15mm lens on my bench for this stunning selfie. Head shining nicely...i'm having a great scalp day.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Seems to me Sam you had one up on the Café with 32 or 35 separate reflections when you were trying to promote your Café Head Gloss. It was a close contest between you and Lee. but I think I remember you won. Long time ago my friend, Fred

horologist

Troy,

It looks like you learned engraving from John Schippers by the way you hold your hammer and chisel.

Roger,

You got it in one try. I had been talking to John for years at the CLA show while he was going through the misery of getting his book published. My dad and I have been working on rifles during the winter months when my folks are in Florida and I had been trying to talk him into taking the class with me. However, it is nearly impossible to pry him out of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and in the end my wife and I took a week of classes.

Troy

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Asian H&C engraving

Troy,

It looks like you learned engraving from John Schippers by the way you hold your hammer and chisel.
SORRY TO GET A LITTLE OFF IN THIS GREAT PICTURE THREAD.
Neil Hartliep, the first of the modern American engraving instructors in the NRA summer school programs promoted hammering back towards oneself in the Asian manner.
Neil also was a great proponent of the use if a vise turned by foot power in the manner of a potters wheel.
It was the willingness of the Hartliep family to share their knowledge that jump started the modern resurgence of firearms engraving in the USA.
Neil, together with his wife Freda and son Glen did much to start the present day renaissance in American engraving.
He also produced a book "The Basics of Firearms Engraving" published by the NRA and produced and sold by by Brownells.
John Schippers fine book continues the tradition of classic hammer and chisel engraving instruction and contains the most valuable and up-to-date information for students of this method.

Last edited:

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Charles Edenshaw as well carved towards himself. Tho his technique was just push. Or rather, pull

SORRY TO GET A LITTLE OFF IN THIS GREAT PICTURE THREAD.
Neil Hartliep, the first of the modern American engraving instructors in the NRA summer school programs promoted hammering back towards oneself in the Asian manner.
Neil also was a great proponent of the use if a vise turned by foot power in the manner of a potters wheel.
It was the willingness of the Hartliep family to share their knowledge that jump started the modern resurgence of firearms engraving in the USA.
Neil, together with his wife Freda and son Glen did much to start the present day renaissance in American engraving.
He also produced a book "The Basics of Firearms Engraving" published by the NRA and produced and sold by by Brownells.
John Shippers fine book continues the tradition of classic hammer and chisel engraving instruction and contains the most valuable and up-to-date information for students of this method.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Okay, time to post one of me. This is me and the "Mrs." doing our other job, mostly helping special needs kids have a Merry Christmas.

Attachments

• IE3A6824.jpg
    IE3A6824.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 132

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
what a great thread
really nice to see everyone here. I only found a few pictures of myself, its funny how we take lots of pictures of everyone around us but not of ourselves.... LoL
here is a picture of me at the Smokey Mountains

picture of me at the Peak in Hong Kong

and here is a picture of my motorcycle

here is my workbench at my shop

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Omar,

I think that I know exactly where you were in the Smokey Mountains. I was there about a week ago.

Attachments

• IMG_2538.jpg
    IMG_2538.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 109

Latest posts

Sponsors